Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2011

I'm fairly new to CAT tools. I've looked into Wordfast (Classic), but I'm also considering Fluency. Does anyone out there use or have experience with both? Any details of comparison would be appreciated. Thanks and have a happy new year 2012!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My input Dec 8, 2011

I've been using WF for about 8 years. By contrast, I just did a remote demo with a Fluency rep last week.

Actually, Fluency seems to stack up pretty well against WF. However, I do not have a compelling reason to switch over. I am sure that WF is good. The best I can say about Fluency right now is that it seems to be pretty good.

The main issue with Fluency is that it is new and doesn't have much of a track record yet.

One good thing about Fluency is that
... See more
I've been using WF for about 8 years. By contrast, I just did a remote demo with a Fluency rep last week.

Actually, Fluency seems to stack up pretty well against WF. However, I do not have a compelling reason to switch over. I am sure that WF is good. The best I can say about Fluency right now is that it seems to be pretty good.

The main issue with Fluency is that it is new and doesn't have much of a track record yet.

One good thing about Fluency is that it is cheap compared to other tools. If you are looking to save a little bit of money, and want to get what seems to be a strong tool, you might go with Fluency. They are trying to get people hooked on their product so they are keeping the price low, for now. On top of that, they also seem to be working hard to give better customer service than the rest.

Let us know which one you chose.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Finnish to French
Fluency is very new Dec 9, 2011

Seth Phillips wrote:
I'm fairly new to CAT tools. I've looked into Wordfast (Classic), but I'm also considering Fluency. Does anyone out there use or have experience with both? Any details of comparison would be appreciated.

First of all, Wordfast Classic and Fluency are quite different in approach: Wordfast Classic lets you work inside Microsoft Word, while Fluency is a standalone tool complete with its own, table-like editor. So Fluency should really be compared to other similar tools, like Wordfast Pro, Déjà Vu, memoQ, SDL Trados Studio etc.

Secondly, Fluency is very new and has limited following so far, so it's not likely you will encounter many "switchers". Its mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fluencytranslation/) was created in August 2011 and has 22 subscribers. By contrast, the Wordfast Classic mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast/) was created in 2001 and has 6761 subscribers.

Anyway, what matters is not what other people think of Wordfast and Fluency. What matters is what *you* think about them, since you're going to be the one using the tool. So they best way to find out is to install them and try them for yourself. One drawback of the Fluency trial is that it is limited in time, while you can use Wordfast for as long as you want before making a purchasing decision.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Fluency 2010 Dec 9, 2011

Seth Phillips wrote:

I'm fairly new to CAT tools. I've looked into Wordfast (Classic), but I'm also considering Fluency. Does anyone out there use or have experience with both? Any details of comparison would be appreciated. Thanks and have a happy new year 2012!

Hi Seth,

I tested Fluency 2010

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/fluency/fluency.html

now Fluency offers some new features (OCR). For me was interesting extracting of all terminology after opening file for translating, another feature was translating PDF as WYSIWYG.

Milan Condak
Czech Wordfast Trainer

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swordfish Dec 9, 2011

Hi,

I have used Swordfish for around two years and I think that it is a very good CAT tool.

You can download a demo from:

http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/

The Swordfish license costs €260.00.

The file formats currently supported by Swordfish III are:
* Abiword
* Adobe InDesign Interchange (INX)
* A
... See more
Hi,

I have used Swordfish for around two years and I think that it is a very good CAT tool.

You can download a demo from:

http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/

The Swordfish license costs €260.00.

The file formats currently supported by Swordfish III are:
* Abiword
* Adobe InDesign Interchange (INX)
* Adobe InDesign IDML (CS4/CS5)
* DITA Maps
* HTML
* Microsoft Office 2007/2010
* Microsoft Visio 2007/2010
* MIF (Maker Interchange Format)
* OpenOffice/StarOffice 1.x and 2.x
* Plain Text
* RTF (Rich Text Format)
* Tagged RTF
* Trados TTX
* TXML (Wordfast PRO)
* XML (Generic)
* XML, with ready to use configuration files for:
o DITA 1.0 and 1.1
o DocBook 3.x, 4.x and 5.x
o SVG
o Word 2003 ML
o XHTML
* JavaScript
* Java Properties
* PO (Portable Objects)
* .ts (Qt Linguist Translation Source)
* RC (C/C++ Resources
* ResX (.NET Resources)

Regards,
Patricia
Collapse

Paul Berthelot
Paul Berthelot  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
then what about across, free licence for freelancer ? Jan 3, 2012

As there are adds, i'll post this add for a free tool, not new, table like and that i've been happily using since at least 5 years
works on many formats
everything at www.my-across.net and www.across.net
Best regards
Paul

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Finnish to French
Some people haven't a very high opinion of Across Jan 3, 2012

Paul Berthelot wrote:
As there are adds, i'll post this add for a free tool, not new, table like and that i've been happily using since at least 5 years works on many formats everything at www.my-across.net and www.across.net

Some people think differently about Across, see for instance Loreta's opinion here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/192733-your_feedback_on_across-page2.html

I tested Across last summer and I wasn't impressed. Of course, it depends what you're comparing it too. My main comparison points were Wordfast Classic and memoQ, and Across didn't come even close to these. And I believe if you're looking for a free tool, Wordfast Anywhere is better than Across.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast vs Fluency Translation Suite

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »