Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:54
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Jul 6, 2004

Goodmorning all
Last year - before I started using Wordfast - I translated some draft contracts for a tender. Now I need to work again with this business, and I would like the terminology to mirror the wording in these contracts.

Can anyone tell me if there's any easy way to extract a Wordfast TM from the contracts already translated?

TIA
Dinny

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:54
Italian to German
+ ...
try with align ... Jul 6, 2004

from the Plus-tools.

didi

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I tried that... Jul 6, 2004

Normally, I'm quite able to follow instructions, actually being quite meticulous in doing so... but the PCTools manual is giving me a headache! I do exactly what the manual says to do... but the result is not what it is supposed to be. Ergo, along the way, who wrote the manual skipped something that he/she considered to be obvious.

I could start over and over again, doing exactly the same things to see if it works out... but somehow I have the feeling that some of you must have bee
... See more
Normally, I'm quite able to follow instructions, actually being quite meticulous in doing so... but the PCTools manual is giving me a headache! I do exactly what the manual says to do... but the result is not what it is supposed to be. Ergo, along the way, who wrote the manual skipped something that he/she considered to be obvious.

I could start over and over again, doing exactly the same things to see if it works out... but somehow I have the feeling that some of you must have been there before and might be able to help me out. (the two different documents I am supposed to get aligned in two tables... are actually two identical tables, Danish to Danish, and not Danish to English as I wanted them to be!).

I'll have a break and come back to see if anybody has a suggestion on how to proceed.

thanks!
Dinny
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:54
English to German
+ ...
More details Jul 6, 2004

Hello Dinny,

could you please provide more details about your problem?

What exactly is your problem? That you are having the same text in both table columns? Or that once you have created a TM, all TUs are labeled Danish?

If the latter is your problem, then I can assure you that this is a known "bug" in +Tools (well, I am not sure whether it is a bug; however, I have been experiencing this problem ever since I started using +Tools and I haven't found any so
... See more
Hello Dinny,

could you please provide more details about your problem?

What exactly is your problem? That you are having the same text in both table columns? Or that once you have created a TM, all TUs are labeled Danish?

If the latter is your problem, then I can assure you that this is a known "bug" in +Tools (well, I am not sure whether it is a bug; however, I have been experiencing this problem ever since I started using +Tools and I haven't found any solution so far). In this case, open the file in Excel and change the target language manually.

If that's not the problem do not hesitate to describe it more thoroughly.

Thanks,

Sonja
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what's happens: Jul 6, 2004

I do the setup for each document and save the ini-file. One for the Danish document with an danish.ini and a TM DK-EN. The other for the English document with an English.ini and a TM EN-DK.
Then I start +PlusTools and Extract, Danish doc to the left, English doc to the right. Then I align: And what I get is: two tables with identical Danish text. Sigh!

And then I give up and ask Proz!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I got it ... so far Jul 6, 2004

Missed a small detail: the two documents are to be saved in two different folders....

So much for being meticulous!

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
folders Jul 6, 2004

Dinny wrote:
I do the setup for each document and save the ini-file. One for the Danish document with an danish.ini and a TM DK-EN. The other for the English document with an English.ini and a TM EN-DK.
Then I start +PlusTools and Extract, Danish doc to the left, English doc to the right. Then I align: And what I get is: two tables with identical Danish text. Sigh!
And then I give up and ask Proz!

Dinny,
- which version of WF and Ptools are you using?

- did you create two separate folders, say, SOURCE and TARGET, and put the corresponding document in each?

- are the documents you are trying to align rather long? If they are, try the 2 documents approach, as the table approach may be tricky.

- have a look at the knowledge base at www.wordfast.net, there is a very complete article by Aleksandar Zafirovski that might clarify.

Let us know how you're doing.
Cheers,
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-07-06 15:55]

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
English to French
+ ...
Check WF list Jul 6, 2004

Hi, Dinny

Very few people manage to use WordFast Align. I prefer to use Fusion Translate. You can try iot for up to 90 days and it's fully functional.

Another solution is going to the Yahoo WF group ans ask for help there. They are always willing to help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
TRANS Suite 2000 Align Jul 6, 2004

Hi Dinny --

Users of Wordfast usually prefer TRANS Suite 2000 Align to Ptools.
It's free, but you have to register with them and they'll send you a digital installation key.

Best,
Esther

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ;-) Jul 6, 2004

I finally managed to get the two documents DK-EN aligned... but it wasn't such a piece of cake (as I HOPED it would be) to transfer it all into a TM.

This was just a small test document of about 10 pages, and if it takes all that checking and editing to create a TM it's easier to read through the original contracts to pick up the terminology and store it in my "human RAM"!

But I'll check out all your sugg
... See more
I finally managed to get the two documents DK-EN aligned... but it wasn't such a piece of cake (as I HOPED it would be) to transfer it all into a TM.

This was just a small test document of about 10 pages, and if it takes all that checking and editing to create a TM it's easier to read through the original contracts to pick up the terminology and store it in my "human RAM"!

But I'll check out all your suggestions to see whether there is any easier way around.

Thanks a lot to all of you!

Dinny
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting Wordfast TM from previous translations

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »