Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
Local time: 08:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 28, 2004

Hello

a colleague bought the licensed version of wordfast.
She sent me the wordfast.cfg file to enable my unlimited TM. She told me I had to save it in my wordfast directory. I did it, I started working but this morning I have a message saying that I have an unlicensed version of WF and my TM is over.
What shall I do to go on with my translation?
Thx

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Buy Wordfast? Jul 28, 2004

mollyf wrote:

Hello

She sent me the wordfast.cfg file to enable my unlimited TM.
Thx

Hi Molly,

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but wouldn't that amount to software piracy and asking for help on how to run illegal software? Just wondering, no offence.

Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John (X)
Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Try wordfast out and then be honest and buy it Jul 28, 2004

mollyf wrote:

Hello

She sent me the wordfast.cfg file to enable my unlimited TM. She told me I had to save it in my wordfast directory. I did it, I started working but this morning I have a message saying that I have an unlicensed version of WF and my TM is over.
What shall I do to go on with my translation?
Thx

wordfast.cfg contains, among other things, the license number that fits *one* install number. This install number is based upon the physical characteristics of the computer on which you’re using wordfast. In your case this is your colleague’s computer, not yours.

So either you buy a license yourself und you’ll get a license number fitting *your* install number. Or you chop up your TM into several TMs containing each less than 500 TUs. Or you select your existing TM as background translation memory (BTM). This \"is a read-only translation memory which Wordfast will scan for an exact (case-insensitive) match before scanning the current TM. If a match is found in the BTM, Ms-Word’s status bar and a beep sound will inform the translator that the proposition comes from the BTM.\" (cited from The Manual).

Regards,
Lisa John
Certified Trainer for Wordfast

PS: My personal advice: Try out wordfast and see for yourself - and if you like it you should buy it. It\'s not that expensive - 180 EUR for one license, or if you find two more colleagues it\'s only 120 EUR each).

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
buy your own license Jul 28, 2004

I think the answer is very simple (if I didn't misunderstand your question).
I'm with Klaus.
Please clarify.

Grace.

ps. well explained Lisa

[Edited at 2004-07-28 09:45]

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
For testing Jul 28, 2004

If you plan only to use Wordfast for this project, you can download a free (older) version from www.wordfast.org. I have used Wordfast from the time it was free, and if you use the old version you should be able to have unlimited TUs in your TM.

Good luck,

...and if you plan to continue using Wordfast, it comes quite cheap with all the newest functions you will love.

... See more
If you plan only to use Wordfast for this project, you can download a free (older) version from www.wordfast.org. I have used Wordfast from the time it was free, and if you use the old version you should be able to have unlimited TUs in your TM.

Good luck,

...and if you plan to continue using Wordfast, it comes quite cheap with all the newest functions you will love.

[Edited at 2004-07-28 16:20]
Collapse

Francesca moletta
Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Jul 29, 2004

Thank you all.

I'm now planning to buy WF license with 2 other colleagues.

Bye!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast.cfg

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »