https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/23649-wordfast_and_arabic_language.html

Wordfast and Arabic language
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 8, 2004

Hello,

I'm using Wordfast for an En>AR translation and somehow it gives me non-Arabic symbols in some parts of the translation, which makes the translation looks totally distorted!
Usually the first three or four words only appear right, then the rest is simply a bunch of question marks!

I've chosen "Unicode" for the translation memory, but I have to admit I'm just a beginner and don't know much about this tool.

Can anyone help with that?
... See more
Hello,

I'm using Wordfast for an En>AR translation and somehow it gives me non-Arabic symbols in some parts of the translation, which makes the translation looks totally distorted!
Usually the first three or four words only appear right, then the rest is simply a bunch of question marks!

I've chosen "Unicode" for the translation memory, but I have to admit I'm just a beginner and don't know much about this tool.

Can anyone help with that?

Thanks

nadia

P.S. I've posted this same topic in Arabic forum, but it didn't appear there.
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:21
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Try Setting a Target Font Aug 8, 2004

I remember having the same problem translating from English into Farsi. Try setting a font like Tahoma in :

SETUP>COL>TARGET FONT

Also make sure you have set this:

SETUP>GEN>WHEN TRANSLATING, SET TARGET SEGMENT LANG. TO: Word's default language.

Hope this helps.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A brand new problem: error during load Aug 9, 2004

Hello,

Thank you Rahi for your reply. I tried to follow your instructions but got stuck with a new problem.

Whenever I click the segmentation icon (next icon) it gives me "errors occurred during load" message.

When I clicked the "Help" button, it demanded the installation of a MS Word component from the CD, so I did.
But then I got the same error message.

I un-installed it as explained in the manual by searching all "wordfast.*" files and
... See more
Hello,

Thank you Rahi for your reply. I tried to follow your instructions but got stuck with a new problem.

Whenever I click the segmentation icon (next icon) it gives me "errors occurred during load" message.

When I clicked the "Help" button, it demanded the installation of a MS Word component from the CD, so I did.
But then I got the same error message.

I un-installed it as explained in the manual by searching all "wordfast.*" files and deleting them.
I even downloaded the new version from the Internet
But nothing worked!

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

nadia
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:21
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Never heard of this... Aug 9, 2004

Hi Nadia,

I've never seen this error.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure what happened Aug 9, 2004

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

Hi Nadia,

I've never seen this error.

Hi Rahi,

Thank you for your kind help.

Actually, I'm not sure what caused it and how it was miraculously solved, but I guess I did something wrong and I need to practice a lot to figure out all the mysteries of Wordfast))

nadia

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Setting the same default font of Word Aug 9, 2004

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

I remember having the same problem translating from English into Farsi. Try setting a font like Tahoma in :

SETUP>COL>TARGET FONT

Also make sure you have set this:

SETUP>GEN>WHEN TRANSLATING, SET TARGET SEGMENT LANG. TO: Word's default language.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Rahi,

I finally did it. I set the target font the same as that of Word and the Arabic text appears fine.

nadia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and Arabic language

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »