URGENT: Preserving formatting of gray backgrounds
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
German to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2004

I hope you can help me - a solution is needed urgently! I posted some of this information a few days ago, but the problem persists, and I really need a solution fast.

I am using Windows 2000, Word 2000, WF 4.20 Build 44w.

I had several files to translate that contained text on a gray background. When I translated the files, the text appeared backed in white on the gray background. These are not fields as in a previous thread. The white appears even in the uncleaned file
... See more
I hope you can help me - a solution is needed urgently! I posted some of this information a few days ago, but the problem persists, and I really need a solution fast.

I am using Windows 2000, Word 2000, WF 4.20 Build 44w.

I had several files to translate that contained text on a gray background. When I translated the files, the text appeared backed in white on the gray background. These are not fields as in a previous thread. The white appears even in the uncleaned files, not just the cleaned files.

My customer first indicated that one of the files cleaned OK in Trados, but then found that the others didn't (as I said, I looked back and found the white formatting in the uncleaned files as well). I need a way to restore the pure 10% gray formatted background without the white. I can't seem to do it very well manually even.

Can anyone tell me
1. Which setting in Word could have been affected by WF to cause this problem?
2. Is there a fast way (search and replace? format painter? macro?) to restore the gray formatted background?

Thanks in advance!
Daina
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to copy only the text, without the paragraph mark Aug 12, 2004

after the text, make a new line above, insert the text and set the background to grey 10%.

TBH I do not know why this happens. It happened once to me with files created with older Word version, and I was not able too to restore the original background.

Maybe this manual copying helps, even if it is not the hit...

Regards
Jerzy

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Aug 12, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion. Copying the chunks of text would be too much for this job, though, because the files are too long (one is over 100 pp.), and the gray boxes appear frequently. I am trying to look at how to return the Style defined for these boxes (under Format - Style) to the correct settings. Then I would just need to re-apply the Style to those sections.

I think I've narrowed this down to a character formatting problem (correct terminology?). The funny thing is that when
... See more
Thanks for the suggestion. Copying the chunks of text would be too much for this job, though, because the files are too long (one is over 100 pp.), and the gray boxes appear frequently. I am trying to look at how to return the Style defined for these boxes (under Format - Style) to the correct settings. Then I would just need to re-apply the Style to those sections.

I think I've narrowed this down to a character formatting problem (correct terminology?). The funny thing is that when I compare the settings of the Style applied to the correctly formatted original and the incorrectly formatted translated file (under Format - Style), they are the same. However, the text displays differently.

If I take the orig. file and copy a paragraph mark with Format Painter to the incorrectly formatted file - presto. I get the correct formatting back. It doesn't work if I simply re-apply the Style from within the incorrectly formatted doc. So, any idea of how I can re-apply the original character formatting?
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK - it's the "Pattern" Aug 12, 2004

Comparing the Styles under Format - Styles, I finally found the problem. When I click Style - Modify, I see that the Style of the incorrectly formatted text has the setting "Pattern: 70% (White Foreground, Auto Background)". The correct Style setting is "Pattern: 10%".

Any ideas on how to change the Foreground/Background setting? I can't find anywhere to do this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: Preserving formatting of gray backgrounds

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »