Wordfast installation in a USB Stick
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:58
German to Spanish
Aug 12, 2004

It is possible to install Wordfast in a USB stick so that I can be able to use it "on the road"?
I travel a lot and sometimes, I'd like to work in internet cafés without my Laptop.
With Trados is not possible, cause the registries into windows, but Wordfast is just a template.
The problem is the Key association to a determined PC.
It is possible to associate a license to a USB stick?
It would be great to have Firefox and Wordfast in a stick.

Regards... See more
It is possible to install Wordfast in a USB stick so that I can be able to use it "on the road"?
I travel a lot and sometimes, I'd like to work in internet cafés without my Laptop.
With Trados is not possible, cause the registries into windows, but Wordfast is just a template.
The problem is the Key association to a determined PC.

Regards

[Edited at 2004-08-12 21:05]
Collapse

Michael Grimmer (X)
Michael Grimmer (X)
English to German
+ ...
RE: Wordfast Installation in a USB-Stick Aug 12, 2004

Hi,

You are right. Since Wordfast is a template it is easier to transfer to another computer.
I don't know about the latest version(s), but at least in the older ones there used to be a file ".ini"-file (e.g. "wordfast.ini") where Wordfast also stored all the settings. You can usually determine a storage location for the ".ini" file.
By copying the template and the .ini-file to a USB stick, you should be able to transfer Wordfast to another computer.
All you have
... See more
Hi,

You are right. Since Wordfast is a template it is easier to transfer to another computer.
I don't know about the latest version(s), but at least in the older ones there used to be a file ".ini"-file (e.g. "wordfast.ini") where Wordfast also stored all the settings. You can usually determine a storage location for the ".ini" file.
By copying the template and the .ini-file to a USB stick, you should be able to transfer Wordfast to another computer.
All you have to do is to place the template in the correct folder (e.g. Startup) and determine the location of the .ini-file.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
un-licensed Aug 13, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Hi Toledo,

I'm not sure you can use Firefox this way, because it includes entries in Window$ dreadfull registry

Wordfast license is asociated to the hard drive where it is installed, so even if it could be possible to transfer it, it wouldn't be legal and there is no guarantee that the license No will stick.
Anyway, if you work with a TM bigger than what the unlicensed program allows, you can always use it as Background TM (read-only) and set a new TM for the part you do in an internet cafe.
You can then merge them using with your licensed program back home.

Cheers!
Grace.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:58
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Good Idea! Aug 13, 2004

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Toledo,

I\'m not sure you can use Firefox this way, because it includes entries in Window$ dreadfull registry

Yes! it is possible! and Thunderbird too, so you have Email client and Favorites/settings all in a Stick, is it not wonderfull?

..you can always use it as Background TM (read-only) and set a new TM for the part you do in an internet cafe.
You can then merge them using with your licensed program back home.

Cheers!
Grace.

That is it! good Idea!

Thks

and if you have interest in Firefox:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

Regards

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
excellent news Aug 13, 2004

Toledo wrote:
and if you have interest in Firefox:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

I use Firefox already but had no idea of the portability, which is great.
I'll have a look at the link.
Thanks!!
Grace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast installation in a USB Stick

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »