Importing Wordfast Pro projects to new PC

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:18
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
May 31, 2013

I am now using Wordfast on another PC running Windows 7. I want to import projects from my old Windows XP PC. While I have managed to import memories, glossaries etc., I have not discovered how to import projects. Where are they stored? What are the files called? How do I open them in the new PC?

As I had to start with out being able to import the old projects, is it possible to merge an old projects with a new one?

I have also found that when I have added glossaries after they disappeared from my new project the first time, the old glossaries did not appear in the list and so I had to recreate them and import the same glossaries again from my glossaries folder. Wordfast Pro then added a "2" after the local name.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sabine Deutsch  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
.wf_workspace May 31, 2013

Hello,

I just did the same, but I work on a Mac so I can't tell you the exact path for a PC. Anyway, you should be able to see the path name when you create a new project, projects and glossaries are stored in the same place, in a folder named .wf_workspace.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Sabine

France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2013

Thanks Sabine, that was very helpful. I have found the file and managed to transfer it to the new PC. There will be a bit of rearranging to do later, but it's a great help to have the links to my old TMs. I have also found a file called .wf_aligner, which I have also imported but I am not sure what is in it. I assume that it is probably to do with alignments that I have previously performed between documents, because there was no such file on the new computer even though I have already worked with it using WF Pro.

France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New problem after copying file across Jun 4, 2013

I selected all the files in the old .wf_workspace folder and pasted them to the new one. I then opened the project that I had already been using in the new folder and selected the TMs that I wanted open, using the ones from the old folder as read-only. However, when I opened my file that I'm translating, and clicked on the segment I wanted to start at, I got a window headed "Problem Occurred", with the message "An error has occurred. See error log for more details. java.lang.NumberFormatException. Now I have had another "Problem Occurred" box "An error has occurred when activating this view".

[Edited at 2013-06-04 08:15 GMT]

Sabine Deutsch  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
yahoo group Jun 6, 2013

Hello again,

I can't help you on this, it never happened to me. Have you tried the yahoo group?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WF_PRO/

You might be able to find help there or you can ask the question.

Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Wordfast Pro projects to new PC

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you create a new project or translate a document

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »