Importing Wordfast Pro projects to new PC

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:55
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
May 31, 2013

I am now using Wordfast on another PC running Windows 7. I want to import projects from my old Windows XP PC. While I have managed to import memories, glossaries etc., I have not discovered how to import projects. Where are they stored? What are the files called? How do I open them in the new PC?

As I had to start with out being able to import the old projects, is it possible to merge an old projects with a new one?

I have also found that when I have added glossaries after they disappeared from my new project the first time, the old glossaries did not appear in the list and so I had to recreate them and import the same glossaries again from my glossaries folder. Wordfast Pro then added a "2" after the local name.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sabine Deutsch  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
.wf_workspace May 31, 2013

Hello,

I just did the same, but I work on a Mac so I can't tell you the exact path for a PC. Anyway, you should be able to see the path name when you create a new project, projects and glossaries are stored in the same place, in a folder named .wf_workspace.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Sabine

France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2013

Thanks Sabine, that was very helpful. I have found the file and managed to transfer it to the new PC. There will be a bit of rearranging to do later, but it's a great help to have the links to my old TMs. I have also found a file called .wf_aligner, which I have also imported but I am not sure what is in it. I assume that it is probably to do with alignments that I have previously performed between documents, because there was no such file on the new computer even though I have already worked with it using WF Pro.

France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New problem after copying file across Jun 4, 2013

I selected all the files in the old .wf_workspace folder and pasted them to the new one. I then opened the project that I had already been using in the new folder and selected the TMs that I wanted open, using the ones from the old folder as read-only. However, when I opened my file that I'm translating, and clicked on the segment I wanted to start at, I got a window headed "Problem Occurred", with the message "An error has occurred. See error log for more details. java.lang.NumberFormatException. Now I have had another "Problem Occurred" box "An error has occurred when activating this view".

[Edited at 2013-06-04 08:15 GMT]

Sabine Deutsch  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
yahoo group Jun 6, 2013

Hello again,

I can't help you on this, it never happened to me. Have you tried the yahoo group?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WF_PRO/

You might be able to find help there or you can ask the question.

Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Wordfast Pro projects to new PC

Translation news related to Wordfast

Fluency Translation Suite
Come see the Fluency Difference and SAVE

The most affordable and easy to learn translation tool! Start and finish your translations faster than ever with Fluency Translation Suite 2013. TMs, Terminology, and Online Resources are fully integrated and only a click away. Download a free trial today

More info »
Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you create a new project or translate a document

More info »