Wordfast classes/training/workshops/webinars/CBT
Thread poster: Deborah Workman

Deborah Workman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2004

I'm a total newbie to CAT tools. I've downloaded Wordfast and the manual but am finding it slow going to "get" it. Is there any kind of interactive instruction available for Wordfast, either in person or online? Any recommended more than others? I'll be grateful for your referrals. Thanks in advance!

Deborah

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 01:06
English to German
+ ...
As far as I know there aren´t any Sep 28, 2004

Deborah Workman wrote:

I'm a total newbie to CAT tools. I've downloaded Wordfast and the manual but am finding it slow going to "get" it. Is there any kind of interactive instruction available for Wordfast, either in person or online? Any recommended more than others? I'll be grateful for your referrals. Thanks in advance!

Deborah
hi! there aren´t any webinars or CBT material, one needs to develop these. Wordfast has a list of trainers, you can choose any of them in your area.
Regards,
Brandis

xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Contact with a trainer Sep 28, 2004

Hi Deborah,
contact with a wordfast trainer.
They are indicated on this page:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=trainers&?lang=engb

Good luck,
Natália

Deborah Workman wrote:

Deborah

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Natalia! I just needed pointing in the right direction. Sep 28, 2004

Somehow I'd missed that link earlier. I'm dispatching an email to a trainer now!

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:30]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Brandis. I've submitted a request to Wordfast. Sep 28, 2004

I didn't find a ready list on the Wordfast site, but have submitted a request to their tech support. Thank you!

[Edited at 2004-09-28 17:31]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No US Training Resource (Business Opportunity for Someone!) Sep 28, 2004

It turns out that Wordfast has only one person on record as a US trainer, and that person's email address is no longer valid. So, if anyone knowledgable is interested in being a tutor to a US client, it appears that there's an opening. I remain interested in learning of any developments to help people like me kickstart their Wordfast learning in some sort of interactive fashion.

Deborah

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
try the Wf forum Sep 28, 2004

There are many discussion forums on Wordfast, in many languages. The English one houses many "nerds", as well as Yves himself. So go for it, they are all willing to answer any request, even of a newbie

Here's some info:

The most important is Alt + Down - you can work with just that, all the rest comes with time... You can also download a manual : www.geocities.com/wordfast/fr-fr/manuals.html

The Wordfast mailing lists are peer-to-peer groups, forums for Wordfast users. Discussions are welcome in the spirit of mutual respect and professionalism. Beside the usual netiquette, the following 2 points should be upheld:

quality over quantity. Write only if and when necessary, avoiding matters unrelated to the group; but don't feel too shy to ask obvious questions anyway;

in the "Subject" line, put a short description of what the mail is really about, so that people who are not interested do not need to open the mail to find out they're not interested. Avoid cryptic subjects like "Frm Snowy to BigSun: about you-know-what", use rather "Cleanup, AR->UR".
Every post will remind you of the easy, one-step unsubscribe procedure. If your language does not have its own mailing list, you can join the English mailing list, where broken (approximate) English is not a problem.

To join the English-speaking group, just send an e-mail to wordfast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or go to its home page, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast.

You find lots of other info on the wordfast.net site

Have fun and Wordfast !

Elisabeth

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
you mean using a webcam! Sep 29, 2004

Deborah Workman wrote:

It turns out that Wordfast has only one person on record as a US trainer, and that person's email address is no longer valid. So, if anyone knowledgable is interested in being a tutor to a US client, it appears that there's an opening. I remain interested in learning of any developments to help people like me kickstart their Wordfast learning in some sort of interactive fashion.

Deborah
and white board. I think that is a possibility for remote learning and teachning. Good idea.Brandis

Aleksandar Zafirovski  Identity Verified
Macedonian to English
+ ...
There is a Web tutorial Sep 29, 2004

Deborah Workman wrote:

Deborah

Hello, Deborah,

You can also try the web WF quickstart pages on www.your-translations.com (under Translator Tools, look further down on the page). Those are one of the "nerds" from the English WF list pages.

Aleksandar

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aleksander, that was brilliant! Oct 2, 2004

I can't believe how simple Wordfast really is. The tutorial was most helpful in just getting past the first bewildering array of buttons and the mystery of where the TM is and how it grows. What a little gem that link is (that site is). I really appreciate the referral. If I had a way to give you points I would!

Deborah

[Edited at 2004-10-02 15:22]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Elisabeth, Than you for your suggestions. I have my homework! Oct 2, 2004

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast classes/training/workshops/webinars/CBT

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs