Thread poster: uytteb
uytteb
uytteb  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:48
French to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 21, 2014

A couple of times already, I have unintentionally switched my keyboard from AZERTY to QWERTY. This always happened after I tried to use a shortcut that I defined (alt-shift-arrow down or arrow right) but I pressed the wrong keys. Unfortunately, as it always happens unintentionally, I cannot reproduce the same key combination to undo the change in keyboard layout.

The keyboard switch only seems to affect Wordfast. Everything else stays in AZERTY. The only solution I have found so far
... See more
A couple of times already, I have unintentionally switched my keyboard from AZERTY to QWERTY. This always happened after I tried to use a shortcut that I defined (alt-shift-arrow down or arrow right) but I pressed the wrong keys. Unfortunately, as it always happens unintentionally, I cannot reproduce the same key combination to undo the change in keyboard layout.

The keyboard switch only seems to affect Wordfast. Everything else stays in AZERTY. The only solution I have found so far is to close and relaunch Wordfast. I have browsed through the shortcuts, but have been unable to find one that might be the one that changes the keyboard layout.

Any ideas what shortcut I might press, so that I can disable it?
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
French to English
+ ...
Alt + shift Feb 21, 2014

This is the one that does it for me. For some reason my old laptop always used to lapse into a different keyboard layout for just a few keys, i.e. @ and " were reversed, as well as £ and #. Pressing Alt + shift used to restore the correct layout. Whether this will work for the whole keyboard, I'm not sure, but it's worth a try!

Good luck!

Claire

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Left Alt+Shift Feb 21, 2014

Claire is right.

Left Alt+Shift is the Windows shortcut that toggles through the active keyboard layouts on your system. There is an icon on the taskbar that tells you which one is currently enabled. Try hitting Left Alt+Shift and you will see the icon change (then just keep toggling to get back to the one you want).

The keyboard switch only affects the program you are working in.

uytteb
uytteb  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Feb 24, 2014

I just did it again, and yes, indeed, ALT+Shift does the trick!

Thank you for your replies!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unintentionally switching from AZERTY to QWERTY keyboard layout

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »