Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:30
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2014

I'm trying to start translating on MS-Word with Wordfast Classic (on my Window 7 machine) for the first time and when I click Alt-down it generates only tags (below the initial text at the beginning of the file) but not segments. Any ideas on how to resolve this so that the segments would appear would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
What version... Apr 22, 2014

... of Wf are you using?

FWIW, the cursor should be positioned at the beginning of, or even inside, a sentence.

Did you create a TM in the appropriate target language?

Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF Classic 6.07... turns out the source file is corrupt Apr 22, 2014

I'm using the latest version of WF Classic. I did create a TM for the corresponding language pair. It turns out the source file is corrupt and that I need a clean file. I just copied and pasted the text into a new MS-Word file and it seems to be working now. Next question, what constitutes a clean file?

[Edited at 2014-04-22 20:47 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:30
Finnish to French
"Char Char" rogue style Apr 23, 2014

Seth Phillips wrote:
It turns out the source file is corrupt and that I need a clean file. I just copied and pasted the text into a new MS-Word file and it seems to be working now. Next question, what constitutes a clean file?

Your particular problem was related to a document plagued with the "Char Char" rogue style, which behaves a bit like cancer cells in the human body. As Microsoft themselves explains, "there is no workaround for existing documents that already have this issue". If you expect to get similar documents from the same client, you may want to tell them about this issue, as they have probably been creating lots of rogue documents from the same old affected template.

A good way to spot "rogue" documents is to look at their style list. If the list is extremely long (like 50 styles or more), chances are this will be a tricky document for Wordfast (and probably most other translation tools as well). OCR programs and PDF converters are notorious for creating such "rogue" documents.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alt-down generate just tags, but not segments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »