Thread poster: seaMount
seaMount
seaMount
Local time: 14:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2004

L.S.!

We have to translate a text (extracted an Excel-file - from database-download) placed in a table (.doc-file; single column, many many rows). Plustools don't help me out here (or should they?).
What are my options?
A tool that I don't know of yet?
Or should I 'style' the HTML-codes as untranslatable? And will that work okay with segmentation and such? (And are there anywhere applicable macro's or tools to ease me?)
The text-segments must stay in their '
... See more
L.S.!

We have to translate a text (extracted an Excel-file - from database-download) placed in a table (.doc-file; single column, many many rows). Plustools don't help me out here (or should they?).
What are my options?
A tool that I don't know of yet?
Or should I 'style' the HTML-codes as untranslatable? And will that work okay with segmentation and such? (And are there anywhere applicable macro's or tools to ease me?)
The text-segments must stay in their 'cells' because they correspond to the related cells in the originating Excel-file.
I seem to be unable to find this issue - specifically dealing with 'text in table' in this forum and or the Wordfast Knowledge Base.
Or am I just plain %@!#*!?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Wout-Jan Koridon

Using:
Wordfast 4.22 t22
Microsoft Office Word 2003 SP1
Windows XP
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
English to French
+ ...
Please try to be more precise Nov 27, 2004

From what you say, it's kind of hard understanding what you are talking abour. Could you specify the kind of text (plain text, html...) you are working on?

Greetings

Bruno Magne

seaMount
seaMount
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Nov 27, 2004

Bruno,

Thanks for reacting.

It's 'plain' text in a Word-document (.doc) containing also codes like and (also just as plain text, no special format or style).
The text is fully inserted in a table, the different text-blocks (report segments originally stored in a database, downloaded in Excel and copied to this and other Word-documents) are in the cells of a single column.

I want to be able to handle these codes as tags (internal, external)
... See more
Bruno,

Thanks for reacting.

It's 'plain' text in a Word-document (.doc) containing also codes like and (also just as plain text, no special format or style).
The text is fully inserted in a table, the different text-blocks (report segments originally stored in a database, downloaded in Excel and copied to this and other Word-documents) are in the cells of a single column.

I want to be able to handle these codes as tags (internal, external) during translation with Wordfast.

Tagging with +Tag (Plustools) seems to be impossible on a .doc-file (Word document). Making a HTML-file - needed as input for +Tag - of the Word document-with-table results in a 'scramble'.

So I think that I just need simple tool/macro alike Plustools/+Tag that applies a specific style to these HTML-codes. (?)

T.i.a.

Wout-Jan Koridon

[Edited at 2004-11-27 16:46]
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
English to French
+ ...
Strange text indeed Nov 28, 2004

Hello,

Somehow what I know about WF does not make me see any solution to your problem. I believe you should submit your query to the Yahoo WF list. Here is the address:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Best of luck
Bruno

seaMount
seaMount
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 2, 2004

Bruno,

Thanks again! So I did.
It came up with some helpful suggestions.
Still, I think it's strange that Wordfast does not enable to process this kind of input.
It seems to me that it is not an unusual thing: a) a database with textsegments including HTML-codes - presentation of which is controlled by user input b) a download of these textsegments in Excel-format - for translation.
Anyway, thanks again & IOU.

Wout-Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparing .doc-file with text tables

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »