https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/27165-cyrillic_fonts_problem_in_wordfast_glossary.html

Cyrillic fonts problem in Wordfast glossary
Thread poster: James Vail
James Vail
James Vail  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2004)
Russian to English
Dec 1, 2004

I am trying to create a Russian-English glossary using Wordfast 4 on a Mac OS 9.1 machine.

The problem is that the software always converts my Cyrillic text into the US keyboard layout (ie. English letters) when saving to the glossary. Then, of course, the glossary cannot match any term used in a document with Cyrillic fonts, since all my Cyrillic entries have been converted.

I posted this question on the wordfast yahoo group, but have not received a response. Anybody h
... See more
I am trying to create a Russian-English glossary using Wordfast 4 on a Mac OS 9.1 machine.

The problem is that the software always converts my Cyrillic text into the US keyboard layout (ie. English letters) when saving to the glossary. Then, of course, the glossary cannot match any term used in a document with Cyrillic fonts, since all my Cyrillic entries have been converted.

I posted this question on the wordfast yahoo group, but have not received a response. Anybody have any tricks for dealing with Cyrillic in Wordfast, or is it completely hopeless with Mac OS 9.1?

James
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Keyboard settings Dec 1, 2004

Hi there --

You do not make it clear whether or not you're familiar with keyboard settings on Mac OS 9.1. I don't know what you need for Cyrillic, but I have Hebrew fonts available in all applications on my little old Mac running 9.1.

In the Apple menu, choose Control Panels, then Keyboard. What do you see? Do you have Cyrillic fonts installed? Check the menu beside Script. It probably shows Roman, but you must have other items in that menu.

If you don't ha
... See more
Hi there --

You do not make it clear whether or not you're familiar with keyboard settings on Mac OS 9.1. I don't know what you need for Cyrillic, but I have Hebrew fonts available in all applications on my little old Mac running 9.1.

In the Apple menu, choose Control Panels, then Keyboard. What do you see? Do you have Cyrillic fonts installed? Check the menu beside Script. It probably shows Roman, but you must have other items in that menu.

If you don't have Cyrillic fonts (probably under Unicode), you must install the proper World Script (probably World Script 1) from your installation disk.

Best,
Esther
Collapse

James Vail
James Vail  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2004)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cyrillic fonts installed Dec 2, 2004

Hi, Esther, thank you for responding.

Yes, to be clear, I have all kinds of Cyrillic fonts, with various keyboard layouts. I can create the glossary in Word, using Cyrillic fonts for the source language, tab, then standard fonts for the English target term. I can then save it and reopen it with no problems.

The problem occurs when I open another document, written in Russian, and begin translating it using the Wordfast. If I load the glossary (index it) into the TM, Word
... See more
Hi, Esther, thank you for responding.

Yes, to be clear, I have all kinds of Cyrillic fonts, with various keyboard layouts. I can create the glossary in Word, using Cyrillic fonts for the source language, tab, then standard fonts for the English target term. I can then save it and reopen it with no problems.

The problem occurs when I open another document, written in Russian, and begin translating it using the Wordfast. If I load the glossary (index it) into the TM, Wordfast always converts the Cyrillic half of my glossary into Latin-based letters. Then, the glossary (only the glossary) does not recognize any of the Cyrillic text in the document I am translating. I can translate just fine, but the glossary is useless.

The funny part is that the software generally supports Russian, but keeps giving me grief with the glossary.

James
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Save Glossary as Unicode Dec 2, 2004

After you save your glossary as Plain text, you must choose a unicode encoding -- in your case "Cyrillic (Mac)". Often, the files are saved as plain text with Default encoding (Roman Western). I no longer work on my 9.1, so I can't tell you exactly how to find it, but look in your Word help for "Save encoded text".

Best,
Esther

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cyrillic fonts problem in Wordfast glossary

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »