Mobile menu

Merge glossaries of language-pairs A+B, B-C into A-C?
Thread poster: Anchan
Anchan
Japan
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
Dec 5, 2004

Another beginner's question:
I have 2 simple tabbed glossaries (same content): one is English-Japanese, the other is English-German. I would like to produce a single new glossary (in Excel) of these two, containing only Japanese-German.
How can I make Excel (or any other suitable application) sort this out without requiring intensive manual editing?
I appreciate your kind hints!
Anchan on the stormy edge of Tokyo

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
With Access Dec 5, 2004

In Access you could import 2 tables having English as indices, create and export a query with those two indices connected and only the Japanese and German fields shown. Done.
But I would prefer to import them to MultiTerm, to create a trilingual terminology database.

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe some Excel tricks Dec 5, 2004

Sort them by English entries, copy into one sheet side by side (columns A , C - English should be identical, B -Japanese, D German), remove columns A and C, and you have a Japanese - German glossary.

S M Gotiwalee
Local time: 20:53
German to English
+ ...
use V-lookup function of Excel !! Dec 7, 2004

* Place English-japanese glossar into excel (say Column A= English & Column B = Japanese).

** Now leave one column (Column C).

*** Place your English- German glossar into next 2 columns.(Column D =English & Column E =German)

**** Now use 'V lookup' function (fx) of excel. It's into 'INSERT' drop down.

***** Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'coulmn A'
Your Table_array will be 'English -German Glossar (col. D and E')
Your Col_ind_no. will be '2'
and Your Range_lookup will be 'false'

Logic = english term of your eng.japanese glossar will be matched with english term of eng. german glossar and german word will be populated in the german column.

e.g. Japanese Glossar Teacher = Sensei
German Glossar = Der Lehrer
After vlookup result will be Teacher= Sensei= Der Lehrer. You can retain 2 columns Sensei =Der LEhrer and delete rest of the data.

****** you can just drag down the formula of vlookup function by double clicking the single excel cell.Provided there is no space in b/n.

******* Once you are done, please Copy the entire column (populated German words) and right click and say -paste special -values. Or Else !!!!! you will loose all your work.

regards,
Sneha Shah

[Edited at 2005-12-27 05:05]

Anchan
Japan
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Merging lang-pair glossaries in Excel" advice -- but I don't understand Dec 7, 2004

Dear Sneha Shah, thank you for your detailed advice. But my tiny (and Excel-unexperienced) brain is still confused. You write:
"...***** Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'column A'
Your Table_array will be 'English -German Glossar (col. D and E')"
-- what do I actually enter at "lookup_value"? And what at "table_array"?

Sorry to be so slow. I much appreciate your help!
Anchan, lost at the rim of Tokyo

S M Gotiwalee
Local time: 20:53
German to English
+ ...
Here is your answer Dec 27, 2005

Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'column A'

Your Table_array will be 'English -German Glossar (col. D and E')"

"lookup_value" will be the value you want to generate. i.e. German terms. So enter respective column no. containing german terms--- as lookup_value.
As you have selected 'column D and E' as table_array. And german terms are in column E (i.e 2nd column)Your "lookup_value" will be 2.

And "table_array" is 'FALSE'

regards,
Sneha Shah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merge glossaries of language-pairs A+B, B-C into A-C?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs