Norton Internet Security detects Wordfast as a threat
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
Finnish to French
Jan 7, 2015

Norton Internet Security 2015 may see wordfast.dot (template of Wordfast Classic) as a threat/virus ("W97M.Downloader.A"):

When attempting to use Wordfast Classic, you may get a message telling you "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled":

This is obviously a false positive. To solve this problem, you first need to temporarily disable real-time protection. In Norton, go to Settings > Anti-Virus > Automatic Protection and turn off both Auto-Protect and SONAR Protection:

When asked for the duration (= for how long should real-time protection be turned off), choose 1 hour:

This will give you enough time to re-download and re-install Wordfast, without stupid Norton interfering.

Next, go to Scan and Risks and configure both Items to exclude from scans and Items to exclude from auto-protect:

Add Word's Startup folder as the item to be excluded:

and:

Re-download and re-install Wordfast Classic. Check Wordfast now works OK. Finally, turn real-time protection back on in Norton. Norton should now let Wordfast in peace, since its template (wordfast.dot) is in an excluded folder.

Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:12
French to English
Thanks Jan 8, 2015

Hi Dominique
Yes I do use Norton. Have disabled the settings but Wordfast is asking for my install number which I don't have.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Licensing procedure Jan 8, 2015

Anne Greaves wrote:
Have disabled the settings but Wordfast is asking for my install number which I don't have.

Wordfast 6 no longer uses install/license numbers. The new licensing procedure is explained here. Log in to your account at wordfast.net, download the current version (6.13) and install it as per instructions.

Install/license numbers are used by Wordfast 5 and older. Even then, Wordfast doesn't "ask" for an install number: the install number is a given, and you need to request a license number for it.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:12
German to English
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Jan 8, 2015

Dominique, you are wonderful.

It would have taken me hours to figure that out and I would have been exhausted afterwards. And now I just got it done in minutes.

My Norton looks a little different and it is in a different language, but your explanation really is so clear that it didn't matter.

ProZ is a wonderful place sometimes.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you! Jan 8, 2015

Thanks from me too. This happened to me this morning but the file was put into quarantine. So now the problem is solved.
This certainly was a timely post for me!
Thanks again,
Catherine

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you for this Jan 10, 2015

Thank you for letting us know what happened. I got this macro security settings message too. I looked into the Windows macro security settings but everything was normal, and I had no idea that it could have been Norton.

As I needed WF urgently on Thursday (4000 words to translate for Friday in a way that I can only do in WF and not in Studio), I downloaded a new version on the website and will keep this one, because my previons WF was an old version.

Nice to know that w
... See more
Thank you for letting us know what happened. I got this macro security settings message too. I looked into the Windows macro security settings but everything was normal, and I had no idea that it could have been Norton.

As I needed WF urgently on Thursday (4000 words to translate for Friday in a way that I can only do in WF and not in Studio), I downloaded a new version on the website and will keep this one, because my previons WF was an old version.

Nice to know that we cannot live without WF Cl.

Happy New Year
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton Internet Security detects Wordfast as a threat

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »