Mobile menu

Alignment and merging TMs
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
Member (2004)
German to English
Jan 19, 2005

I'm new to Wordfast and feel I still have a lot to learn - so this may be quite a basic question!

I have a number of moderately similar documents, previously translated without Wordfast, which I decided to align and put into a translation memory in case something else comes in from the same client in future. I've followed the PlusTools Alignment Procedure from the Wordfast Knowledge Base and found that it works well - except that when I've finished aligning a document it invites me to create a new TM but doesn't tell me how to add it into an existing TM. So I've translated Document A and created a TM from it. I then translate Doc B and want to add it to the TM created for A, but can't see how to do this - so I create B's TM and have copied and pasted it onto the end of A's TM, but when I test this with sample sentences which I know are in Doc B it doesn't work - i.e. Wordfast doesn't find the previouly translated bits that were in B, only the ones that were in A. So how do I combine the TMs for A and B ... and add in C and D as well?

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
in the TM Editor Jan 19, 2005

Hi Armourel,

Armorel Young wrote:
So how do I combine the TMs for A and B ... and add in C and D as well?

Assuming you are working on Wordfast 5, what you do is simple:
Expand WF toolbar and click on the last but one icon that looks like a washing board (that's the TM/Glossary Editor - once open, if you click on the "?" you'll see the Editor shortcuts you can use).

Open TM B
Ctrl+A (to select all)
Ctrl+C (to copy the selection to clipboard - Wf will save the clipboard content in a file called WfClipTM.txt in case you need it)
Now Open TM A
Ctrl+V (to paste what you've just copied in the clipboard)

If you want to go on merging TMs, just repeat the steps.

When you close the Editor the TM should be reorganised and recognition should start working normally.

Hope it helps,

ps. forgot to tell you, when you align and create a TM, remember to rename that TM before the next alignment process as this will overwrite the previous one without warning.

[Edited at 2005-01-19 22:46]

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to English
Thank you Jan 20, 2005

Thank you, Graciella - that does indeed work. It's only minimally different from what I was trying to do anyway, but at least it's now working right!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment and merging TMs

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs