Using Wordfast to deliver a Trados file and TM
Thread poster: Ezequiel Fernandez

Ezequiel Fernandez
Local time: 14:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 20, 2005

Hello everybody,
One potential customer has asked me to complete a test using Trados. Normally, agencies don't mind me working on Wordfast, as it is Trados-compliant, and they can easily import the Wordfast file to generate a Trados one. There must be some way to do this, but I don't know how to do it.
Can anyone help me?
Any comment or suggestion would be much appreciate.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Moving the topic Jan 20, 2005

to the WorFast support forum

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Uncleaned DOC files Jan 20, 2005

Delivering a Trados TM won't be possible. You could prepare a Wordfast TMX TM that can be imported in Trados but the major problem is that Wordfast TMX TMs do not contain formatting instructions.

You're right that there is very little difference between the way Wordfast and Trados segment documents. The solution is to send your client an uncleaned Word document. They can clean that document in Trados without a problem and will have the TUs in exactly the way they want them.

Regards,
Gerard

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Send the file to someone with Trados Jan 21, 2005

As long as it is Word-files you have to translate you do not have to have Trados yourself, if a friend does the clean-up for you, but if the new customer gets the impression you have Trados and starts sending you ttx-files for translation in TagEditor you are in trouble.
Regards
Heinrich

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Be upfront Jan 21, 2005

I see the temptation you face, but I can only urge that you be upfront with the customer about the software you have. If they insist on TRADOS, let them go. (Or if they a major client changing their policy, then go get TRADOS).

To do otherwise is of questionable ethics and could make you liable for damages in the event of a problem.

Good luck!

Steven

Ezequiel Fernandez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't really matter for now. Jan 21, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

I see the temptation you face, but I can only urge that you be upfront with the customer about the software you have. If they insist on TRADOS, let them go. (Or if they a major client changing their policy, then go get TRADOS).

To do otherwise is of questionable ethics and could make you liable for damages in the event of a problem.

Good luck!

Steven

I don't think it's a matter of being upfront or ethical here. The fact is this is only a test about which I can't be bothered whether I use Trados or Wordfast. The advantage is I only need to deliver an uncleaned file (not the TM), so it doesn't really matter which CAT software I use.

Thanks all for your contributions.

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Save TM in TMX standard Jan 23, 2005

If I remember it correctly (at the moment I don't use any TM) there was a possibility to save the TM file in TMX standard. Or was in the Trados? Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

I also think that you should let your client know what software you are using, for your own good.

Natalia

[Edited at 2005-01-23 17:46]

Ezequiel Fernandez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remenber this is just a test Jan 23, 2005

I also think that you should let your client know what software you are using, for your own good.

Natalia

In my opinion, it doesn't matter which CAT sofware you use, but rather how good is your translation, not least because this is a test. If they find my test acceptable, then we can go beyond and step into another level of discussion about which translation tool is more appropriate.
Regards, larrú.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Wordfast to deliver a Trados file and TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs