Sandra Cifuentes Dowling
Sandra Cifuentes Dowling  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 15, 2005

Hi !

I am working on a rtf file with several text boxes. How do I make WF open those boxes as segments to be translated?

Thanks.

Sandra

[Edited at 2005-02-15 17:29]

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:44
English to French
+ ...
WF does it ... Feb 15, 2005

automatically.

Just launch the translation and WF will take care of text boxes.

Cheers

Bruno Magne

[Edited at 2005-02-15 20:34]

[Edited at 2005-02-15 20:35]

Sandra Cifuentes Dowling
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it does not Feb 15, 2005

Hi Bruno!

I am afraid WF puts text boxes aside and opens segments with plain text only (text which is not inside the boxes). I have been opening the text boxes manually, one by one, but that makes the file format a chaos and does not allow me to go from one segment (text box) to the other, as WF closes the translation session each time I press "next segment" icon.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sandra

[Edited at 2005-02-15 21:02]

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
Local time: 12:44
English to Danish
+ ...
I experienced the same Feb 15, 2005

and I didn't find the solution. If there is one, I'd like to know too.

I should say that I was/am using the old, free version of Wordfast. Maybe it is an issue that has been fixed in newer, commercial versions?

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
Well, it should.... Feb 16, 2005

One important thing: as long as you display your document in the Normal mode, no drawing object (which a text box is) will appear on the screen and WF will ignore them. So, before you can translate any text box, you must switch the display into Page layout.

Lucks

Bruno

Sandra Cifuentes Dowling
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Page layout mode Feb 16, 2005

Bruno Magne wrote:

before you can translate any text box, you must switch the display into Page layout.

I have it in page layout mode, Bruno. And Word shows me the text boxes. But when I click "start translation session" the program simply disregards the text in the boxes and only translates the plain text which is outside them. That's why I have been trying to open each box manually but the result is a real disaster, because the translation session ends each time I click "next segment". It also sends me to normal view when the segments of plain text which are in between are opened to be translated, then I cannot go on with the other text boxes below.

A colleague has commented -off the record- that this should be done with macros. Some instructions here for those who want to give it a try : http://www.wordfast.net/know.php?ToDo=view&questId=24&catId=9

Will see what I can do. Unfortunately, I am in a race against time now.

Thanks a lot,

Sandra

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
Something is definitely wrong Feb 16, 2005

Because it should work fine.

What is your WF version? There is a new commercial version available that is quite stable and that should the trick for you.

For now, since you are running agains time, I would do like this.

Open a new document and paste all text boxes in it. Copy and paste the segments out of the text boxes. Translate them with WF as plain text and do the reverse process to put the translated segment back into the boxes. It's time consuming, bu
... See more
Because it should work fine.

What is your WF version? There is a new commercial version available that is quite stable and that should the trick for you.

For now, since you are running agains time, I would do like this.

Open a new document and paste all text boxes in it. Copy and paste the segments out of the text boxes. Translate them with WF as plain text and do the reverse process to put the translated segment back into the boxes. It's time consuming, but if that will help you meet the deadline, it's worth it.

Ánimo, che

Bruno

P.S.: Did you try the Spanish-speaking Wordfast Help list at Yahoo?

P.P.PS: did you try converting the .rtf file into a .doc file?

[Edited at 2005-02-16 01:44]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably no good idea to translate in the box Feb 16, 2005

Because the box fits usually to the source text you won't see both segments when translating in Word using Wf. Sometimes Wf does it, but usually it's better to do it in a sepearte file, where you copy the texts from the box.
Regards
Heinrich

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Agree Feb 16, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Because the box fits usually to the source text you won't see both segments when translating in Word using Wf. Sometimes Wf does it, but usually it's better to do it in a sepearte file, where you copy the texts from the box.
Regards
Heinrich

That is the only way to do it without problems. WF doesn't like text boxes, so I copy and translate them in another file and then copy the cleaned text back in the boxes.

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Makro for text extraction available Feb 16, 2005

Nicolette Richy wrote:

That is the only way to do it without problems. WF doesn't like text boxes, so I copy and translate them in another file and then copy the cleaned text back in the boxes.

There is a makro available which automatically extracts all text from textboxes and copies it into a new Word file.
I found that makro in the file archive of the Wordfast mailinglist at Yahoo. It ist a zipped file with the name
"ExtractFromTextBoxes.zip" and can be found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/files/

It has been a while since I last used that makro but it worked fine at that time.

Regards,
Antje

Sandra Cifuentes Dowling
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Feb 16, 2005

Thank you all for your support.

Definitely will copy/paste text from the boxes in a separate file, translate, and copy/paste it back to boxes. Will try the macro next time when I am not in a hurry. I should update my WF version as well, as Bruno suggested. I am working with 4.22 but there seems to be a version 5 now.

Have a nice day!

Sandra

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I'll surely try the macro too Feb 16, 2005

I have one type of texts (one end client) who is always putting everything in text boxes, nothing is typed normally. He or she uses Word as if it were Pagemaker or XPress. Sometimes here is only one big box on a page, sometimes there are two or three boxes on a page (in columns). It would have been much easier for everybody if he/she made tables.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text boxes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »