Thread poster: bigbigworld

bigbigworld
China
Local time: 20:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 1, 2005

Hi everyone,

I am a new fan to WF, I find it a very human software, but this time when I try to use plustool to creat tm from translated documents (English to Chinese), I no longer feel it very intuitive. Would you please shed some lights on my following consistent problem?

I have followd everything in the manual to set up (creating english.ini and chinese.ini and their respective tms with corresponding language codes), extract, align and then create tm. Everything was going fine except after I clicked "create tm", I got a tm in which most of the TUs had been lost, only a few of them are left. I tried another document, but similar problem persists, only this time I got maybe 60% of the TUs.

I have checked the alignment, they are all right, so could the problem be in the segment rules or something?

Could you give me some further hints on what possibly is wrong? I have checked that I should have followed everything in the plustool manual.

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Segment rules indeed very important Mar 2, 2005

and more important in Chinese etc. than in European languages. Sorry I cannot help you more in this matter. I found the Trados WinAlign more useful and easier to use than plustools.

bigbigworld
China
Local time: 20:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes winalign is better but do you still use WF Mar 2, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

and more important in Chinese etc. than in European languages. Sorry I cannot help you more in this matter. I found the Trados WinAlign more useful and easier to use than plustools.

Thanks heinrich, I agree that Trados WinAlign is a better Alignment tool. But do you then still use WF? Import tm generated from Alignment tool?

I still think WF is a much intuitive tool than Trados.

Thanks again!

Karen

btspirit
English to Chinese
Same Problem encountered! Mar 2, 2005

I have problems in creating TM by +tool.When i clicked Create TM button,a menu poped up read:choose source language code.I left it blank and went on,then got a TM with NO TUs in it.There must be some improper setups somewhere I guess,but where are they?Could anybody tell me the parameters or setups related with the result of TM creation? how do you setup you Wordfast and create a TM? Thank you!

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
no language codes no TM Mar 2, 2005

btspirit wrote:
I have problems in creating TM by +tool.When i clicked Create TM button,a menu poped up read:choose source language code.I left it blank and went on,then got a TM with NO TUs in it.T

Hi "btspirit",

Check WF manual, pages 17-18. You'll find info about how to create a TM and the codes you need to use.
For +Tools (+Tools manual pages 15-16), when you click on "create TM", you need to enter the language codes.
Then you'll be prompted to save. I'm not sure though if when using Chinese you should save as Unicode or not...

Grace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why TUs lost after creating TM using plustool

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs