Thread poster: Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:39
Portuguese to German
+ ...
May 24, 2016

After having done the following workaround in a project with 3 different TMs, one for me, one for the client and one from the Alignment Workflow.

1.) Alignment via Wordfast Anywhere with 2 Word Docs

2.) Import of created TM

3.) Export of bilingual file for review

4.) Import of reviewed bilingual file (_merged)

5.) "Commit all Segments to TM"

It works with all segments for the TM that was created in the Aligner. And it
... See more
After having done the following workaround in a project with 3 different TMs, one for me, one for the client and one from the Alignment Workflow.

1.) Alignment via Wordfast Anywhere with 2 Word Docs

2.) Import of created TM

3.) Export of bilingual file for review

4.) Import of reviewed bilingual file (_merged)

5.) "Commit all Segments to TM"

It works with all segments for the TM that was created in the Aligner. And it works with the purple segments for my TM and for the client's TM, but the yellow and grey segments cannot be committed to those TMs.

There is probably a simple trick to make this possible. (?)

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simply merging the alignment TM into all other TMs May 24, 2016

... seems to be an option.

I hope I'm right.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 15:39
Check Preferences > Translation Memory May 24, 2016

Hi Patrick,

Do you have Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM in Preferences > Translation Memory checked?

Thank you,

John

Patrick Wahl wrote:

... seems to be an option.

I hope I'm right.

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked May 24, 2016

Thank you, that worked.

I even had a look into TM preferences but must have overlooked this. I must admit, I even read the sentence but my brain didn't conclude anything from it. I also was in a hurry, desperately searching for the word "commit", because that's how the feature is called, "commit all segments to TM".

Maybe I'm alone with this and it might be because I'm not English native, but the phrase "write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM" to me seems prett
... See more
Thank you, that worked.

I even had a look into TM preferences but must have overlooked this. I must admit, I even read the sentence but my brain didn't conclude anything from it. I also was in a hurry, desperately searching for the word "commit", because that's how the feature is called, "commit all segments to TM".

Maybe I'm alone with this and it might be because I'm not English native, but the phrase "write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM" to me seems pretty complicated and not exactly eye-catching.

With all respect to you busy developers who of course do a great job, I think we should keep every command as simple as possible.

Thanks
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:39
Member (2006)
French to English
Suggestion May 25, 2016

Hi Patrick,

What wording would you suggest?

Thanks,
John

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope I'm not leaning too far out of the window, but... May 26, 2016

...they could simply use the word "commit", "commit any kind of segment to TM" or why is that feature existing at all if there is the "read only" option for each TM?

I'm not that familiar with WFP yet and of course each specific feature has a special reason.

But still, I'm just the end-user, I don't even have to see the txml file or for example the other 4 files that are being created when making a revision. That's like showing a guest in a restaurant all the dirty dis
... See more
...they could simply use the word "commit", "commit any kind of segment to TM" or why is that feature existing at all if there is the "read only" option for each TM?

I'm not that familiar with WFP yet and of course each specific feature has a special reason.

But still, I'm just the end-user, I don't even have to see the txml file or for example the other 4 files that are being created when making a revision. That's like showing a guest in a restaurant all the dirty dishes that were necessary to make the meal. When I throw in a Word file, I'd like to have a Word file back. When I need a specific format for another tool, ok then give me the option to export as txt etc.

It has all grown pretty complicated for a common translator who is mainly just interested in the words on each page. Even though, when looking at WFP 4, you can clearly see that the trend goes towards "simplicity", which is good.

I'm just speculating here, don't take it too serious.

Thanks,
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:39
Member (2006)
French to English
Reasoning May 26, 2016

Hi Patrick,

Thanks, just looking for suggestions…

The reason for this option is that if you don't edit a fuzzy match or a machine translated segment, most people would not want it committed to the TM by default. When you check this option, it will write or commit them when pressing alt+down.

How do these sound?
"Commit unedited fuzzy matches and unedited machine translated segments to the TM"
"Commit fuzzy matches and machine translated segmen
... See more
Hi Patrick,

Thanks, just looking for suggestions…

The reason for this option is that if you don't edit a fuzzy match or a machine translated segment, most people would not want it committed to the TM by default. When you check this option, it will write or commit them when pressing alt+down.

How do these sound?
"Commit unedited fuzzy matches and unedited machine translated segments to the TM"
"Commit fuzzy matches and machine translated segments to the TM, even if they haven't been edited"
"When using the 'Next Segment' command, commit the current segment even if it has not been edited."

These things are usually easy to improve, but it helps if we have suggestions for improvement, especially from new users who might find some things cryptic.

Thanks in advance,

John
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Commit Jun 2, 2016

Maybe that one

"When using the 'Next Segment' command, commit the current segment even if it has not been edited."

Thanks

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:39
English to Romanian
+ ...
. Jun 3, 2016

The "Write unedited fuzzy..." is relatively self-explaining. I think it would be better to activate it by default, maybe showing a warning to the user on first occurrence. Or maybe have it shown to the user during the project creation stage.

Is the second part, "...and exact matches", that I don't understand. I mean, is there any situation when I DON'T want to write an exact match to TM?
And, what if I don't want the fuzzy matches in the TM, but I DO want the exact matches? B
... See more
The "Write unedited fuzzy..." is relatively self-explaining. I think it would be better to activate it by default, maybe showing a warning to the user on first occurrence. Or maybe have it shown to the user during the project creation stage.

Is the second part, "...and exact matches", that I don't understand. I mean, is there any situation when I DON'T want to write an exact match to TM?
And, what if I don't want the fuzzy matches in the TM, but I DO want the exact matches? By the way this option is presented, it seems that I can have both or none.

Cheers!
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Behaviour Jun 6, 2016

There is a warning, isn't it?

When clicking on the segment and afterwards on "commit" it appears "you have not changed this segment, are you sure you want to continue?".

However, when I do a proofreading, sometimes when clicking on the segment, the original entry in the source file is being replaced by e.g. a 69% fuzzy match and even disappears. I don't understand that at all.

e.g. 2 segments:

limpeza das áreas comuns - Reinigung der Gemeinsc
... See more
There is a warning, isn't it?

When clicking on the segment and afterwards on "commit" it appears "you have not changed this segment, are you sure you want to continue?".

However, when I do a proofreading, sometimes when clicking on the segment, the original entry in the source file is being replaced by e.g. a 69% fuzzy match and even disappears. I don't understand that at all.

e.g. 2 segments:

limpeza das áreas comuns - Reinigung der Gemeinschaftsbereiche

limpeza das áreas interiores - Reinigung der Innenbereiche

As soon as I click on the 2nd segment "..... áreas interiores" the original entry is being replaced with the anterior segment and gone.
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any help on what's wrong with my TM settings? Jun 8, 2016

Thank you!

Clicking on the segment replaces the translated content with a fuzzy match from the TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment cannot be committed to TM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »