Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2005

I am translating a PowerPoint file with WordFast. A lot of my lines are disappearing in the PPT file after hitting Alt-down. I can see them if I click on them. How do I get them to show?

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution (sort of) Mar 15, 2005

I just went through the whole PPT presentation highlighting all the "invisible" text and changing the color the black. WordFast had mysteriously changed a lot of my text to white letters on a white background.

Is it just me or does WordFast have some major flaws when translating PPT files? I always seem to have formatting issues whenever I use WF for PPT. Very annoying.

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:36
English to French
+ ...
It's probably more PowerPoint.... Mar 16, 2005

Sorry, I mistakemly pressed some key combination that sent the message before I could complete it.

[Edited at 2005-03-16 03:28]

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:36
English to French
+ ...
It's probably more PowerPoint.... Mar 16, 2005

Buenos días, Edward

Basically, WF works fine with any PowerPoint file, as long as it is pure Powerpoint, which is not the case most of the times, since many elements of any slide can be imported and GROUPED objects, which WordFast will ignore. The only solution is for one to check all slides one by one before launching the translation and UNGROUP any objects present in the presentation. Ungrouping an objet will divide it up in several textboxes which is what WordFast feeds on.
... See more
Buenos días, Edward

Basically, WF works fine with any PowerPoint file, as long as it is pure Powerpoint, which is not the case most of the times, since many elements of any slide can be imported and GROUPED objects, which WordFast will ignore. The only solution is for one to check all slides one by one before launching the translation and UNGROUP any objects present in the presentation. Ungrouping an objet will divide it up in several textboxes which is what WordFast feeds on.

There is a command in Pandora's Box that must be activated before you translate any .ppt presentation. It's "UpdateOfficeWhen Translating". As you must have noticed, when WF translates several parts of a slide (within Word, obviously),it adds a number that looks like this: (in red) WF1/1, where the first digit is the number of the slide and the second one is the segment WF is translating. Only when WF goes to a new slide does it update the slide one just translated and then one can see the whole slide in the target language.

The trick is never to edit any part of any slide, nor to click in any slide while WordFast is being used. At the most, you can browse through the presentation and if by any chance you find some segment that has not been translated, you'll have to wait until you are finished with the whole translation and then you should "manually" (that is without WordFast) translate the mssing part.

Suerte y mucha (pero mucha para valer) paciencia....

Cordialmente desde Brasil
Bruno Magne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated text disappearing using WordFast for PPT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »