Thread poster: sarahprice
sarahprice
sarahprice
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:57
French to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2016

I have version 6.13 of Wordfast Classic. I completed a job for an agency using a Wordfast TM. The agency has subsequently made changes to the file using the 'Track Changes' function in MS Word and is now asking me to update the TM to reflect these subsequent changes and send them a copy of the updated TM. Can anyone clarify whether it is actually possible for me to do this with WF Classic? Many thanks.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good question Nov 23, 2016

sarahprice wrote:
I have version 6.13 of Wordfast Classic. I completed a job for an agency using a Wordfast TM. The agency has subsequently made changes to the file using the 'Track Changes' function in MS Word and is now asking me to update the TM to reflect these subsequent changes and send them a copy of the updated TM. Can anyone clarify whether it is actually possible for me to do this with WF Classic? Many thanks.

I've often wondered how to get back to a bilingual view of a translated text, once I've cleaned it. Wf gives me a file with an extension of BAK, which doesn't seem to have any use at all as far as I can see. I don't even know how to open them.

However the TM itself if just a .TXT file, so you can go in and edit that just by opening it with Wordpad or whatever. Most recent TUs will be at the bottom. You can also bring up Wf in an empty Word screen and call up the text editor.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 10:57
Slovak to English
Hmm Nov 23, 2016

You delivered the translation along with the WF TM? Why didn't they take care of this as they made the changes? The agency apparently knows of no simple way to do this, so it seems to me they want you to do a lot of fiddly, non-translation work for free.

In any case, could you accept the changes and then run another WF session on the resulting document and insert the agency's changes that way, updating the TM as you go?

Roni

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
.bak files Nov 23, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I've often wondered how to get back to a bilingual view of a translated text, once I've cleaned it. Wf gives me a file with an extension of BAK, which doesn't seem to have any use at all as far as I can see. I don't even know how to open them.

When I’ve seen Wf files cleaned with Trados for the purposes of updating Trados TMs, I think the .bak files can simply be renamed with the original Word extension (so .doc or .docx) to obtain the original bilingual file.

[Edited at 2016-11-23 16:14 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Duh...!!! Nov 23, 2016

Mark wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:

When I’ve seen Wf files cleaned with Trados for the purposes of updating Trados TMs, I think the .bak files can simply be renamed with the original Word extension (so .doc or .docx) to obtain the original bilingual file.

[Edited at 2016-11-23 16:14 GMT]

Why didn't I think of trying that any time in the last eight years of using Wordfast??? Thank you Mark . It is indeed that simple.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
PlusTools = aligner Nov 24, 2016

Yasmin Moslem used to offer great help specifically for Wordfast. Dominique Pivard always seemed to provide a lot of helpful and insightful answers for CAT tools in general and to take Wordfast Classic seriously. Samuel Murray is always a big help for a great variety of tools. I can't offer much help, but I'll do my best in an attempt to demonstrate some gratitude to them and many others.

What you are talking about has been on my to-do list for a very long time, but I never get arou
... See more
Yasmin Moslem used to offer great help specifically for Wordfast. Dominique Pivard always seemed to provide a lot of helpful and insightful answers for CAT tools in general and to take Wordfast Classic seriously. Samuel Murray is always a big help for a great variety of tools. I can't offer much help, but I'll do my best in an attempt to demonstrate some gratitude to them and many others.

What you are talking about has been on my to-do list for a very long time, but I never get around to it.

If there are only a few changes and the text is short, Sheila's suggestion of using the text editor seems very easy and unlikely to produce problems.

Another option might be:
- open the .bak
- open the corrected file
- keep jumping to the next correction
- accept all changes in each sentence with a correction
- copy and paste that changed sentence into the target text in the .bak (being very careful of the delimiters)
- clean the translation (not quick clean)

That should also provide you with an updated TM.

If there are a lot of changes, then you should definitely charge extra, unless you agreed in advance to provide this service. It definitely seems like a task agencies should be expected and able to do in a very efficient way.

If they are willing to pay you for this task or you want to be able to do this for yourself on other occasions, Wordfast has developed PlusTools (see: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/PlusTools) to do exactly what you want to do. You would use it to align the original source file with the corrected translation (after accepting all changes there) and produce an updated TM in the course of an extensively automated process. I don't think this is probably all that complicated, but it involves investing an uncertain amount of time to figure things out in the beginning.
Collapse

sarahprice
sarahprice
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you and updating Wordfast TMs using Trados Feb 9, 2017

A belated thank you very much for all of your input back in November. The agency accepted that it was not easily possible for me to update the TM for the assignment I completed for them in November. However, I have now delivered another assignment for the same agency and they are once again asking if it is possible for me to update the TM with their changes. Whilst I could do the job manually, the job comprises 11,000 words spread across 41 Word documents with an average of 1 to 2 changes per do... See more
A belated thank you very much for all of your input back in November. The agency accepted that it was not easily possible for me to update the TM for the assignment I completed for them in November. However, I have now delivered another assignment for the same agency and they are once again asking if it is possible for me to update the TM with their changes. Whilst I could do the job manually, the job comprises 11,000 words spread across 41 Word documents with an average of 1 to 2 changes per document and so it would be rather painstaking. However, if I converted all of the bilingual .bak files for the job back into bilingual Word documents using the method suggested further up the thread, would it be possible for the agency to run the files through Trados in order to update the TM on my behalf? Many thanks in advance.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating Wordfast TM with changes subsequently made by agency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »