Thread poster: Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 15:51
French to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2016

I've used Wordfast Anywhere to align two documents (French source & English target).
This gives me four files: ".XLS", ".TXT.TXML". "TMX" and ".TXT".
I want to work on reviewing the document in Wordfast Pro (version 3.4.10 on my Mac version 10.9.5) with the French and English side by side.
However I'm unable to do this, when I try to import the XLS, TXML or TXT file I end up with either only the French, only the English, or the English below the French, but not the French and E
... See more
I've used Wordfast Anywhere to align two documents (French source & English target).
I want to work on reviewing the document in Wordfast Pro (version 3.4.10 on my Mac version 10.9.5) with the French and English side by side.
However I'm unable to do this, when I try to import the XLS, TXML or TXT file I end up with either only the French, only the English, or the English below the French, but not the French and English side by side.
What am I doing wrong?
TIA for your help.
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:51
Member (2006)
French to English
Edit Excel file Dec 27, 2016

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

Dear Catherine,

The alignment gives you three files. You opened the TXT file with WFP as if you were going to translate it.

You should open the Excel file, edit if necessary and reupload under tools to get an edited alignment.

Kind regards,

John

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 15:51
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confused Dec 27, 2016

John Di Rico wrote:

You opened the TXT file with WFP as if you were going to translate it.

You should open the Excel file, edit if necessary and reupload under tools to get an edited alignment.

I tried opening the TXT, Excel and TXML files, not just the TXT file.

I could edit the Excel file, but I wanted to edit in Wordfast as I wanted to check against the glossary I have for that client.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "reupload under tools".

TIA,

Kind regards,

Catharine

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:51
Member (2006)
French to English
Procedure Dec 28, 2016

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

I could edit the Excel file, but I wanted to edit in Wordfast as I wanted to check against the glossary I have for that client.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "reupload under tools".

The files are not meant to be edited using Wordfast.
If you want to do this, add the aligned TXT TM file as a TM in Wordfast.
Also select the proper client TM (so you can commit corrected segments to it).
Open the source file, translate it using the aligned TM and committing to the final TM.

What I mean by "reupload under Tools" is if you edit the Excel file in Excel. Once finished, in WFAA, there is a section called Tools. Upload the edited Excel file and it will create a new, edited TM for you.

Kind regards,
John

Carole Youmbi
Carole Youmbi
Cameroon
Local time: 12:51
English to French
+ ...
Question Dec 20, 2023

Bonjour. J'aimerai savoir s'il vous plaît, est-ce possible d'aligner des textes dans wordfast pro ? Si oui, comment procéder ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work on bilingual aligned files in Wordfast Pro 3

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »