https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/31537-excel_file_giving_me_a_headache.html

Excel file giving me a headache
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2005

Hi!

I am translating an .xls file with Wordfast and at the beginnng everything was fine.

Then MS Word has started to crash whilst segmenting. I have relaunched Word several times, and rebooted the computer.

However, same thing happens, Word crashes again.

Can you please advise?

As usual, thousand thanks!

Kind regards,

Estefanía

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:27
German to Spanish
If you do not need to work with a big TM Apr 20, 2005

just do it with Trados/DVX/SDLX in demo mode and export the neu TM to your Wordfast TM.

I do not know if the last version of Wordfast works fine with Excel files but it was not so good in the past.

Chau

Fernando

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
possible workaround Apr 20, 2005

I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions about dealing with the problem directly, but a possible workaround is to select and copy the contents of the Excel worksheet (the whole set of cells at once) and paste it into an empty Word document, where it will appear as a table. You can then translate the text as usual with WordFast, and when the translation is done you can copy and paste the contents back into an Excel file (either a new one or replacing the original contents).

If the Ex
... See more
I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions about dealing with the problem directly, but a possible workaround is to select and copy the contents of the Excel worksheet (the whole set of cells at once) and paste it into an empty Word document, where it will appear as a table. You can then translate the text as usual with WordFast, and when the translation is done you can copy and paste the contents back into an Excel file (either a new one or replacing the original contents).

If the Excel worksheet has a complex structure, you may have to copy and paste it in sections.

Another option might be to save the Excel file as a .csv file, which will strip out all the formatting information.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-04-20 21:27]
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:27
English to French
+ ...
Kenneth's solution is the good one Apr 20, 2005

While translating Excel files is quite easy with WordFast, you must check some elements and proceed as follows:

In Pandora's Box, activate the "UpdateOfficeWhenTranslate".

Open the Excel file.

Click ONCE, only once, on the first cell of the sheet where there is text.

Activate Wordfast in Word and open a new document.

Type ALT + DOWN ARROW to launch the translation session.

If you wish, once a while, open up the Excel w
... See more
While translating Excel files is quite easy with WordFast, you must check some elements and proceed as follows:

In Pandora's Box, activate the "UpdateOfficeWhenTranslate".

Open the Excel file.

Click ONCE, only once, on the first cell of the sheet where there is text.

Activate Wordfast in Word and open a new document.

Type ALT + DOWN ARROW to launch the translation session.

If you wish, once a while, open up the Excel window to look how things are going, BUT DON'T DO NOTHING WITHIN ANY CELL IN THE SHEET. That would cut the link between WordFast and Excel and you would have to start all over again.

One thing is certain: all the translated segments are stored in your Translation Memory and are not lost if Word happens to crash.

If you have to start all over again, repeat the procedure above, but be sure to click on the cell you want to start from again. Don't worry about what you have already translated.

Best of luck

Bruno Magne
Collapse

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 21, 2005

Thanks a lot for your hints!

As always, you guys saved my day.

Best regards

Estefanía

Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:27
Japanese to English
Same problem but can't fix it! Nov 8, 2010

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am having the same problem as Estefania.

I follow the instructions to translate excel files in wordfast to the T, and wordfast pulls over the first line to translate, so far so good. Yet when I hit alt-down to move to the next line, Wordfast crashes every time, without fail. This happens with every excel file I try.

Any ideas?

Word 2007, Win7, Wordfast ver. 5.61k btw.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try converting Nov 8, 2010

Is your file in Excel 2007 format? Then try converting it to Excel 2003 and back to 2007. Or vice versa. Alternatively, try converting to ODS and back with OpenOffice.org.

Conversion may iron out certain internal glitches in the file.

Or just try another tool. OmegaT handles Excel 2007 f
... See more
Is your file in Excel 2007 format? Then try converting it to Excel 2003 and back to 2007. Or vice versa. Alternatively, try converting to ODS and back with OpenOffice.org.

Conversion may iron out certain internal glitches in the file.

Or just try another tool. OmegaT handles Excel 2007 files directly and Excel 2003 files via conversion to 2007 or ODS, you can re-use your existing WF TM(s) by exporting to TMX.
Collapse

Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:27
Japanese to English
No dice Nov 8, 2010

Esperantisto: Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it didn't work. I even installed the newest version of Wordfast.

I would like to be able to use Wordfast as I know the program fairly well now and it works well for me in all other respects.

It would be so golden if I just get this one aspect fixed.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro Nov 9, 2010

Dear Bree,

Please try to use Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Translating complicated Excel files should be easier in Wordfast Pro.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Be
... See more
Dear Bree,

Please try to use Wordfast Pro. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Translating complicated Excel files should be easier in Wordfast Pro.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file giving me a headache

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »