Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:24
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2005

Dear all,

I am a beginner with WordFast 4.0 and I need to send a TMX file worked out with Wordfast. At the beginning I obtained a TXT file and I tried to convert it into a TMX one using the Export tab in WF set-up view. I sent it to the client (who uses Trados, I presume) but the TMX I created doesn't seem to work. Is there a step I missed in reating this file?

thanks a lot for your precious help!

valeria

Direct link Reply with quote

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to French
+ ...
TMX is a format Apr 21, 2005

for Translation memories, not for text documents.

If you are talking about sending an unclean file, your client should be able to open a .txt file with Trados.

Cheers

Bruno Magne

Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX translation memory Apr 21, 2005

Hi Bruno.

I was talking about sending a TM. They wanted it as a .TMX while I sent it as .TXT but once I converted it into .TMX they told me it was still no good. I can't understand if there's still something wrong with it or simply they don't know how to handle that TM for some reasons.

Thanks!

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to French
+ ...
Something is wrong Apr 22, 2005

If you did export your TM as a .tmx file, your client should be able to open it.

If you wish and are not in a hurry and there is nothing confidential, send me your .tmx file through Proz so that I can have a look at it.

Cheers

Bruno

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
.tmx Apr 22, 2005

First, is there any reason you're using Wordfast 4.0 rather than the more stable 4.22?

Second, you say you *converted* your .txt file into .tmx. It's not clear what that means. You should open Wordfast, open the TM you want to export, and choose Export TM with the option TMX selected.

Your client has to make sure to select the right format when importing, TMX 1.1. By default, the Trados import is not set for .tmx but for Translator's Workbench .txt.

Since I have both Wordfast and Trados, and since I don't translate from English to Italian, I can have a look at your TM if you want. You can contact me through my profile.

Best,
Esther

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Check the language codes... Apr 22, 2005

Valeria Ricciardi wrote:
I am a beginner with WordFast 4.0 and I need to send a TMX file worked out with Wordfast. At the beginning I obtained a TXT file and I tried to convert it into a TMX one using the Export tab in WF set-up view. I sent it to the client (who uses Trados, I presume) but the TMX I created doesn't seem to work. Is there a step I missed in reating this file?

There is a known issue with Trados in that Trados will not accept TMX files if the language codes are inconsistent with what Trados expects. I can't help to solve it, though, but knowing about it is a start.

Any reason why you're using 4.0 and not 4.22t22 or even one of the current 5.00 versions?

You can also try to convert your WF TM to TMX using a tool like Oliphant.

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:24
English to Russian
Another way to make the client happy Apr 23, 2005

1. Translate your documents with Wordfast.
2. Save bilingual (not cleaned) copy as RTF file.
3. Clean the Word document.
4. Deliver the DOC (cleaned) and RTF (bilingual) which the client will clean into their own Translation Memory.

CAUTION!
*** DO NOT leave empty targets ****
*** and/or provisional segments ***
*** in the RTF!!! *****************

HTH
Stay well
Alex

[Edited at 2005-04-23 19:43]

Lukas Utikal  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Spanish to Czech
+ ...
Oliphant Jun 10, 2005

Can anybody send me a link for downloading this Oliphant thing?

Thanks

Lukas

Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Link to Olifant Jun 13, 2005

Here it is:

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Regards from Sweden,
Antje

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get a TMX file?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs