Thread poster: Natasha Stoyanova

Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
May 23, 2005

Hi All!
I am translating some large PPT files and very often the following thing happens:
Suddenly after clicking on Next segment button Word document crushes and I receive a message that "This programm isn't responding" and the same for the opened PPT file. After closing applications and their restart everything goes fine, but after cleaning the document I found that in the PPT file some of the slides remains untranslated.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 09:12
English
Break the files? Add more RAM? May 23, 2005

It sounds as if you are inserting the PPT files into Word so that Wordfast can translate. Is this correct? That would require lots of memory.

This sort of crash usually means you have run out of memory. Either break the files into smaller chunks or increase the amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) in your system.

To improve the use of the RAM your system has, do this:

1. Close every program you are not actively using.

2. Turn off screen savers, and any of those cute programs that waste computer space.

3. Delete all TMP files, archive all old projects, and delete as much as possible from your hard drive.

4. Defragment the hard drive.

Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try May 23, 2005

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

It sounds as if you are inserting the PPT files into Word so that Wordfast can translate. Is this correct? That would require lots of memory.

This sort of crash usually means you have run out of memory. Either break the files into smaller chunks or increase the amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) in your system.

To improve the use of the RAM your system has, do this:

1. Close every program you are not actively using.

2. Turn off screen savers, and any of those cute programs that waste computer space.

3. Delete all TMP files, archive all old projects, and delete as much as possible from your hard drive.

4. Defragment the hard drive.

Bur I am not sure this will solve the problem - I have enough system resources. The most strange thing is this didn't happens before and now happens not with all ppt files..

Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Had the same problem... May 24, 2005

the first time I tried to translate a PPT file (never with Word files). It seems the problem in my case was a command that wasn't activated in Pandora's Box. This suggestion helped,

http://www.proz.com/post/212061#212061

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with PPT file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs