Thread poster: Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:00
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
May 23, 2005

Hi All!
I am translating some large PPT files and very often the following thing happens:
Suddenly after clicking on Next segment button Word document crushes and I receive a message that "This programm isn't responding" and the same for the opened PPT file. After closing applications and their restart everything goes fine, but after cleaning the document I found that in the PPT file some of the slides remains untranslated.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem?

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 02:00
English
Break the files? Add more RAM? May 23, 2005

It sounds as if you are inserting the PPT files into Word so that Wordfast can translate. Is this correct? That would require lots of memory.

This sort of crash usually means you have run out of memory. Either break the files into smaller chunks or increase the amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) in your system.

To improve the use of the RAM your system has, do this:

1. Close every program you are not actively using.

2. Turn off screen sa
... See more
It sounds as if you are inserting the PPT files into Word so that Wordfast can translate. Is this correct? That would require lots of memory.

This sort of crash usually means you have run out of memory. Either break the files into smaller chunks or increase the amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) in your system.

2. Turn off screen savers, and any of those cute programs that waste computer space.

3. Delete all TMP files, archive all old projects, and delete as much as possible from your hard drive.

4. Defragment the hard drive.
Collapse

Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:00
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try May 23, 2005

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

2. Turn off screen savers, and any of those cute programs that waste computer space.

3. Delete all TMP files, archive all old projects, and delete as much as possible from your hard drive.

4. Defragment the hard drive.

Bur I am not sure this will solve the problem - I have enough system resources. The most strange thing is this didn't happens before and now happens not with all ppt files..

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Had the same problem... May 24, 2005

the first time I tried to translate a PPT file (never with Word files). It seems the problem in my case was a command that wasn't activated in Pandora's Box. This suggestion helped,

http://www.proz.com/post/212061#212061

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with PPT file

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »