https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/32658-before_i_buy_a_couple_of_qs.html

Before I buy, a couple of Qs>
Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:39
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
May 24, 2005

Downloaded the trial version and used it on my first job, my first impressions were all good, it seemed easier to use than Trados or DVX ( recognise I'm a poor learner in these matters, and impatient too)

Before I buy, I wonder if anyone can tell me...

1) What are wf's drawbacks compared to other similar progams

2) I saw somewhere here (but cant remember where) that I can "import" existing translated projects to build up my TM, how easy is this?

... See more
Downloaded the trial version and used it on my first job, my first impressions were all good, it seemed easier to use than Trados or DVX ( recognise I'm a poor learner in these matters, and impatient too)

2) I saw somewhere here (but cant remember where) that I can "import" existing translated projects to build up my TM, how easy is this?

finally

3) Once installed on one computer, can I copy the files and use on another? I'm on a laptop at the min but buying a new PC in the coming month. If I cant, I might need to have a long think as to "where I want it"

Sorry if these are Qs you've done to death before, but thanks for any input.

ps, just found a thread that answers (2), should have looked beyond p1 of forum(

[Edited at 2005-05-24 05:47]
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
you can re-license May 24, 2005

William Pairman wrote:

3) Once installed on one computer, can I copy the files and use on another? I'm on a laptop at the min but buying a new PC in the coming month. If I cant, I might need to have a long think as to "where I want it"

Hi William,

Everytime you install WF on a different hard drive it sets a different install number, with this number and your ORIGINAL install&license number you can re-license for a different computer (this includes if you need to reformat your HD and the install number changes).
Check this for the final word on license: http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=agreement

Cheers,
Grace.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Building a Wordfast TXT TM May 24, 2005

William Pairman wrote:

You can Export your Trados and DVX TMs in TMX. Just open a TMX TM in Wordfast and it will be converted to a Wordfast TXT TM.

In Wordfast you can clean up segmented documents you have translated with Trados to build a Wordfast TXT TM.

You can also align source and target documents to build a Wordfast TXT TM, but that method is quite cumbersome and often not worth the time.

Regards,
Gerard

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Never got as far as setting up a TM with Trados May 24, 2005

You can also align source and target documents to build a Wordfast TXT TM, but that method is quite cumbersome and often not worth the time.

Thanks Gerard, that was the thing I wanted to do. I'll have a go and then give up at the first hurdle I suppose

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers from another WF user May 24, 2005

William Pairman wrote:
What are WF's drawbacks compared to other similar programs?

* You must have MS Word 97 or higher installed, and you must have administrative privileges on that computer to install it.
* You must have some basic computer literacy (you must know how to work with files and folders using only the operating system's tools).
* You have to combine it with other tools to translate other types of documents (for example Tortoise Tagger).
* You must preferably be a member of the WF Yahoogroup and keep up to date with the latest developments.
* Unlike Ecco, which supports an unlimited number of glossaries, WF can only handle three glossaries.
* Unlike OmegaT, which AFAIK support unlimited simultaneous TMs, WF can only handle one active TM (and some other special classes of TMs)

I saw somewhere here (but cant remember where) that I can "import" existing translated projects to build up my TM, how easy is this?

This is called "alignment". You can do it using Plustools and WF combined. It's not very difficult.

You can use any other CAT tool's alignment feature to create TMX TMs and then import those TMs into WF too, if you like. Wordfisher has an aligner (60 day shareware), and Cypresoft's aligner is also popular among some people.

Or, wait... are you referring to your old Trados uncleaned files? You can simply open them in WF and "clean" them, and their TUs will be added to the TM (same as in Trados).

Once installed on one computer, can I copy the files and use on another? I'm on a laptop at the min but buying a new PC in the coming month.

Sure. Your serial/install number will be different on each computer, so simply log into the WF web site using your e-mail address and first intall number, and then "relicence" WF using the new installation's serial number. You do this as often as you like, but every three or four times you'll be required to write a letter explaining why you need another relicencing (eg "my HDD crashed again" or suchlike). You are limited, however, to the number of computers you have WF installed on simultaneously.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Talking about WF May 24, 2005

Does it work with WordPerfect or only with Word?

Benno

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Doesn't work with WordPerfect May 25, 2005

Benno Groeneveld wrote:
Does it work with WordPerfect or only with Word?

It is written as a macro in VBA, so it works only in MS Office. The story goes that WordPerfect's macro language went through too many changes and people stopped writing programs and support for it. If you're using WordPerfect and you're looking for a cheap CAT tool, try OmegaT. AFAIK the bigger CAT tools can also work with WordPerfect files, though.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Correction... May 26, 2005

Samuel Murray wrote:

William Pairman wrote:
What are WF's drawbacks compared to other similar programs?

* Unlike OmegaT, which AFAIK support unlimited simultaneous TMs, WF can only handle one active TM (and some other special classes of TMs)

I have since learnt that WF does handle multiple TMs, but only through the WFS, which is available to registered users. The WFS is still in beta, however.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Before I buy, a couple of Qs>

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »