Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 19:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2005

Hello! I've been searching for this topic in the manual, but I can't find it.

I'm using Wordfast 5.0zw with three glossaries that I had already found/compiled/etc.

But I've already translated half of all the documents I need to work on, and I want to know if there is a way of extracting/creating a new glossary from the TM I've been using.

You see, I have many, many expressions and set phrases that are constantly repeated throughout, and I don't want to
... See more
Hello! I've been searching for this topic in the manual, but I can't find it.

I'm using Wordfast 5.0zw with three glossaries that I had already found/compiled/etc.

But I've already translated half of all the documents I need to work on, and I want to know if there is a way of extracting/creating a new glossary from the TM I've been using.

You see, I have many, many expressions and set phrases that are constantly repeated throughout, and I don't want to keep on typing them over and over. Since my fuzzy threshold was set at 75% (I believe that is the default value), whenever I had long sentences (which is practically all the time), these set phrases did not appear in the target unit, so I had to type them over and over.

Maybe I should have added new entries to my other three existing glossaries as I worked, but I didn't know how/didn't think of it sooner

Now I've finally found how to lower the fuzzy threshold value, but still...

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks very, very much from a very, very stressed, overworked and very tired colleague!
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:10
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Edit your TM in Word Jul 24, 2005

Hello Maria,

If your TM is not too big, you could edit it in Word.

Open a copy of the TM in Word.
Select all.
Table/Convert/Text to Table (Separate text at tabs).
Delete the first row and all columns exept source and target.
Convert table to tab-delimited text.
Save as a TXT file.
Select the file as a glossary and reorganise it.

Regards,
Gerard

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 02:10
French to Dutch
+ ...
I did it this way Jul 24, 2005

With the source text. Look for terms that you want to put in the glossary, then do a context search (Ctrl+Alt+C) (all occurencies will appear in another Word page) and then create a new glossary manually, preferably in a new Excel file. Sort this glossary in alphabetical order, delete the double entries and export it in .TXT format.

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 19:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much!!! Jul 24, 2005

Gerard: You're a Godsend!! It has been working perfectly so far

Nicolette: I was doing reference/context searches throughout, but some of my units didn't appear and, since the results open up in another Word document, it was a bit cumbersome for me. I'm too stressed as it is!! But thank you for the tip, that is also a good way to do it.
... See more
Gerard: You're a Godsend!! It has been working perfectly so far

Nicolette: I was doing reference/context searches throughout, but some of my units didn't appear and, since the results open up in another Word document, it was a bit cumbersome for me. I'm too stressed as it is!! But thank you for the tip, that is also a good way to do it.

Merci beaucoup!

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a Wordfast TM to create a glossary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »