Wordfast glossaries - adding entries - the best way?
Thread poster: Mihailolja

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2005

Hello

Can anyone help and tell me how does Wordfast compile a glossarie?

Its not clear from the manual if it does it automatically or if you have to enter the entries one by one. I have tried entering them one by one into a txt file and it seems to work but the weird thing is that I cant seem to copy a term from my document which is opened in MS Word and Wordfast and then paste it into the txt file to compile my glossary step by step, ( I have to open the original source text and do this, then copy and paste seems to work ).

thanks in advance

Mihailo

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:54
English to French
+ ...
It's really, really simple :-) Aug 24, 2005

Entering terms while translating

You can also enter terms while translating. Here’s how it’s done:

1. Select (highlight) the source term.

2. Click CTRL-ALT-T to mark the term. The following text will appear at the bottom of your screen: “ marked as source term. Please mark the target term.”

3. Select (highlight) the target term, the same way you have done for the source term.

4. Click CTRL-ALT-T to mark the term.

5. A window will appear, inviting you to edit the marked terms (if necessary), and fill out the comment, field1 and field2 fields (optional).

6. Select the glossary this term should be added into.

7. Click the Add Entry button.

Voilà Good luck!

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Magnifique Marie-Claude! Aug 24, 2005

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Entering terms while translating

You can also enter terms while translating. Here’s how it’s done:

1. Select (highlight) the source term.

2. Click CTRL-ALT-T to mark the term. The following text will appear at the bottom of your screen: “ marked as source term. Please mark the target term.”

3. Select (highlight) the target term, the same way you have done for the source term.

4. Click CTRL-ALT-T to mark the term.

5. A window will appear, inviting you to edit the marked terms (if necessary), and fill out the comment, field1 and field2 fields (optional).

6. Select the glossary this term should be added into.

7. Click the Add Entry button.

Voilà Good luck!

Merci beaucoup

)

Mihailo

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
It was a pleasure! Aug 24, 2005

I'm glad I could help

I had prepared a little document for internal use at my job, about Wordfast glossaries. Soon after we migrated to Trados, so we never really used the document. I'm glad I could put it to use somehow

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One last question................ Aug 24, 2005

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

I'm glad I could help

I had prepared a little document for internal use at my job, about Wordfast glossaries. Soon after we migrated to Trados, so we never really used the document. I'm glad I could put it to use somehow

Hi Marie-Claude

I have just entered a whole host of terms into my very first glossary , your instructions work a treat, finally though do you enter a word from the glossary by highlighting it in red and then using ctrl, alt and down arrow? This doesnt seem to work for me and I thought there might be another way?

regards

Mihailo

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Good one Aug 24, 2005

Actually, I never entered a word directly from the glossary, so I'm a bit puzzled!

I always entered the word myself, then the quality-check function would tell me if it was the correct word or not when closing the segment (and offering me the choice to change the word or ignore).

I'll have to verify!

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Copy glossary term Aug 24, 2005

Mihailolja wrote:

I have just entered a whole host of terms into my very first glossary , your instructions work a treat, finally though do you enter a word from the glossary by highlighting it in red and then using ctrl, alt and down arrow? This doesnt seem to work for me and I thought there might be another way?

First, make sure you re-organize the glossary before you start (press the "Reorganize" button on the Terminology | Glossary 1 or 2 or 3 in Wordfast).

When you translate, select one of the highlighted terms using Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right. The selected term is framed in red. Press Ctrl+Alt+Down to paste the translation of the term into your target field.

If the shortcuts don't work (your operating system, graphic card, volume manager etc. can "steal" them), try using the icons (three icons showing arrows (left, down, and right)).

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it!!!!! Aug 24, 2005

This will really speed things up!

Use ctrl, alt and then either left arrow or right arrow to select which glossary entry on your document you want and then position your cursor where you want it then do ctrl, alt and down arrow and it appears!!!

Amazing!

Regards

Mihailo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast glossaries - adding entries - the best way?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs