Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2005

Hi all,

I wonder if this is possible. I have a massive, massive glossary in Word with 3 columns in it.

The first is English, the second is Russian and the third is another language which I don't need.

The problem is that both the source and target are often many lines long with brackets, numbers, hard returns and so on.

I did the standard things described in the manual (table, convert, table to text, save as txt in unicode, add and index) and the result I got was that around 30% of the entries were fine, while in the remaining entries the source was associated with a different target than it should have been or more commonly with nothing at all and vica versa (no source, just a target term).

Any idea on what can be done?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:40
English to Czech
Replace hard returns with spaces Sep 9, 2005

Try replacing all hard returns (and also manual breaks or tabs, if any) with spaces before you convert the table to tab-delimited text in Word. This should help a lot.

Good luck!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved....I think Sep 9, 2005

OK, if anyone needs to do this in the future I did the following things.

1. Cut out the two columns that I needed into a new word file.
2. Removed all the hard returns and extra spaces. Do this by pressing ctrl+H and putting ^p (for hard returns) in the Find what box and space in the Replace with box. Click replace all until no replacements are made. Then ctrl+H, two spaces in the find what box, one space in the replace with box. Click replace all until no replacements are made
3. Went to Table->Convert->Table to Text.
4. Saved the file as plain text, encoding Unicode.
5. Opened Wordfast->Quality Check-> Glossaries-> Select glossary opened the file I created. Indexed it.

[Edited at 2005-09-09 18:35]

Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Rework your table first Sep 9, 2005

Konstantin Kisin wrote:
The problem is that both the source and target are often many lines long with brackets, numbers, hard returns and so on.

Hi Konstantin,
I presume it's the hard returns, tabs etc. contained in your table that cause the problems.
So first of all save a copy of your file and work on the copy only. Select the table and do several global search and replace operations in order to eliminate those unwanted characters
from your table. In a first go, search for ^p (hard return) and replace it by a simple space. Then search for ^l (manual line feed), ^t (tab) etc. and also replace those characters by one space each.
After that, you can proceed as described in the manual with table-to-text conversion. In the converted text, make sure, however, that there is no space inmediately before a tab or a line break - so you'll probably have to do one or several global search and replace operations again: search for [space]^t and replace by ^t (more than once!) and replace [space]^p by ^p.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Lisa
http://www.webjohn.de

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use glossary for single words only, and use others as reference material Sep 9, 2005

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

This does not sound like a "glossary" in the Wordfast sense of the word. A Wordfast glossary is typically a list of single words or short phrases. What you might want to do is to add your glossary to your reference folder so that you can search for terms using the reference search (concordance search in WF4).

...while in the remaining entries the source was associated with a different target than it should have been or more commonly with nothing at all and vica versa...

When you say "columns", what do you mean? Do you mean real columns as Word would create columns, or do you mean that you have two visual columns but in fact there are tabs or spaces between the columns? Is there a single thing that delimits the different entries (such as a double empty line), something which does not occur within an entry? Can you convert all entries into long single lines?

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks all! Sep 10, 2005

Thanks a lot for all your replies! I should have persevered rather than asking so early on

A follow up question, is there any way to make a glossary bi-directional? For example, this glossary I'm using is for English->Russian but I translate mostly the other way around. Is there any way to do that?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

importing a large word glossary

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs