Increasing source segment size character by character
Thread poster: Colin Bowles
Colin Bowles
Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:26
Portuguese to English
Sep 27, 2005

Could anyone plse tell me how I can increase or decrease the source segment size char by char. I am doing a job where the original text has lots of full stops missing, so I need to remove one sentence from the source segment. I know I can use alt+ page up or page down, but that only goes back to the next full stop.

Thanks very much in advance,

Colin.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:26
German to English
+ ...
I don't think you can Sep 27, 2005

Wordfast uses specific characters (called 'end-of-segment punctuation (ESP)' in the WF manual) to define segment boundaries, and AFAIK you can only (interactively) expand or contract the size of a segment in chunks delimited by ESPs. My advice would be to put all the full stops in the text where they belong before you start translating.

If you're careful and know what you're doing, you can also cut and past parts of segmented text in the middle of a session, but it's best to stop WF
... See more
Wordfast uses specific characters (called 'end-of-segment punctuation (ESP)' in the WF manual) to define segment boundaries, and AFAIK you can only (interactively) expand or contract the size of a segment in chunks delimited by ESPs. My advice would be to put all the full stops in the text where they belong before you start translating.

If you're careful and know what you're doing, you can also cut and past parts of segmented text in the middle of a session, but it's best to stop WF before doing this kind of editing. It's a good idea to enable display of non-printing characters (spaces and paragraph marks) before you start editing (by clicking on the paragraph symbol in the toolbar). Don't monkey with the WF delimiters, and pay attention to whether text is marked as hidden.

[Edited at 2005-09-27 22:27]
Collapse

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ForceSegment Sep 28, 2005

Colin Bowles wrote:

Could anyone plse tell me how I can increase or decrease the source segment size char by char. I am doing a job where the original text has lots of full stops missing, so I need to remove one sentence from the source segment. I know I can use alt+ page up or page down, but that only goes back to the next full stop.

Thanks very much in advance,

Colin.

Dear Colin,

You can use the command "ForceSegment" to make a segment that contains the text you want.
Mark (highligh) the text, which should form the segment (e.g. a sentence). The text must not contain any hard returns (end-of-paragraph marks). Then press Shift+Alt+Down (or select ForceSegment from the Wordfast menu). Wordfast will make a segment, which contains the text you have highlighted.

Regards

Marek

Colin Bowles
Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:26
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Sep 28, 2005

Thanks you all for your help. I will try it when I have a second.

Colin.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Marek Sep 28, 2005

I overlooked that in the manual. Nice to know.

[Edited at 2005-09-28 12:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Increasing source segment size character by character

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »