Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2005

I am trying to get an accurate word count and analysis but WordFast keeps skipping over the text boxes and doesn't count them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What version are you using? Oct 31, 2005

I noticed with Mf 5, that the count is the same as with Translation office, when there are textboxes. There is also a macro in Wordfast.doc (the manual) that extracts the text in boxes all together into a second Word-file, but I haven't used it yet (didn't have to). Install the macro and try it out!
Regards
Heinrich

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extracting text boxes with WordFast macro Oct 31, 2005

I have used that macro and it works for some files I have but not others. My files have a lot of images in them which may not help the extraction.

Also, WordFast does not seem to work well when translating the text boxes. It seems to point somewhere out of the box and change the formatting. Do you know anything about this?

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Wordfast does not translate text in textboxes Oct 31, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:

Also, WordFast does not seem to work well when translating the text boxes. It seems to point somewhere out of the box and change the formatting. Do you know anything about this?

Wordfast cannot translate text in textboxes at all. Only last week I worked on a document which contained a number of textboxes. At some point I received a warning message "There are frames of textboxes of graphics in this document that *may* need translation. Use the View/Page mode or Print Preview to see them." (Well, I knew that already...)
I felt like experimenting and I tried to set the cursor into the textbox and start a translation session. As a result an error message appeared which read something like "Wordfast cannot segment text in textboxes. Translate by overwriting the text."

So I continued the usual way, extracting the text into a different file (macro "ExtractTextFromBoxes", you can download it from the file archive of the Wordfast Yahoo!group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/) and finally copying and pasting the text back into the boxes.

BTW, I'm using WF 5.15i now.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

P.S.: And back to your original question: As Wordfast completely ignores all text in textboxes it doesn't count words in textboxes either.

[Edited at 2005-10-31 10:29]

[Edited at 2005-10-31 10:32]

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF new version Oct 31, 2005

Thank you, Antje. I ended up using PractiCount for counting the files and it looks like it did a very good job. I guess WordFast (and I hear Trados, as well) is close to useless for translating many text boxes.

Also, Word does not count the words in text boxes either.

Have you noticed any differences in the new version of WF? How is it better?

[Edited at 2005-10-31 14:40]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 15:45
English to Russian
Text box export/import tool Oct 31, 2005

There is a free tool which I used a few times.
http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/textboxes.html
Good luck!
Aleksandr
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=~~>

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Counting words/characters in text boxes Oct 31, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:

Also, Word does not count the words in text boxes either.

I use another macro ("Wordcount") in order to count words in text boxes in Word - I learned about it here at ProZ.com:
http://www.proz.com/post/91809

Have you noticed any differences in the new version of WF? How is it better

Good question.
I mainly updated to the newer version because I had trouble using the "Alt + F12" function (i.e. automatically copying text from a context window into the target segment) - for no logical reason it didn't work any longer.

The "feel" of the new version is somewhat different and I probably should invest in a seminar to even update my WF-knowledge.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting text boxes with WordFast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »