Runtime error when closing Word & searching TM
Thread poster: Niels Barfoed

Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:51
English to Danish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2005

I run Win XP, Word 2003 and WF 5.01

The problem is that when I click the cross (upper right hand corner) in Word to close a document that I have translated with WF, the program crashes and throws the error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
abnormal program termination

This does NOT happen if I open and then close the same document without activating WF. The second part of the problem is, that the same error occurs and the program crashes when I mark a term in the source segment and click the 'Concordance search' botton. Although sometimes the error message is slightly different (reading somthing like: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way).

I have tried to delete the without any effect, and also ensured that macro security is set to low and marked the 'Trust access to Visual basic....' box in Word. I have seen that there are posts re this problem in Trados support, but the directions given there doesn't seem to help. I have also searched the Wordfast group (Yahoo) but only found one similar case - without any answers, so I hope that among my fellow prozians someone is able to help....

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Solution? Nov 7, 2005

I don' know what's going on, but you could try to re-install Word with the default settings.

Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Could it be trados? Nov 8, 2005

Thanks Dan for your input!

Meanwhile I tried to uninstall Trados 6.5.5 and having done that, Word/Wordfast functions perfectly without any problems whatsoever, BUT reinstalling Trados 6.5.5 makes the problem reappear.

It seems to be a problem with the most recent version of Wordfast since with previous versions I have never had this problem. I wonder if it could be a bug in Wordfast or Trados that gets so integrated in Word that it doesn't allow other tools access? I think I'll post these findings to the Wordfast group on Yahoo and see if someone has a clue as to what can be done....

I should add, that the WF version I use is 1.15...

And the solution to the problem (at least for me) seems to be to do a manual install of WF 5.15/1 - first deleting ALL existing Wordfast files in the Word Startup folder and then copying the file to this folder (after manual install, however, it is necessary to re-enter the license number). Now everything works. Hope this may be helpful for others...

[Edited at 2005-11-08 14:21]

Local time: 06:51
English to German
+ ...
wordfast and trados Mar 12, 2007

I am using Trados 7.5 and have just installed Wordfast 5.51 out of curiosity.

Result: the Trados toolbar is no longer available in Word.

I can confirm Niel's suggestion works:

In XP, the Word Start up folder location is

"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP"

In this folder there are two templates, and

I moved out of the folder, and Trados is available again as a toolbar in Word.

Please note that the location of Word templates is
"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Runtime error when closing Word & searching TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs