https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/38612-runtime_error_when_closing_word_searching_tm.html

Runtime error when closing Word & searching TM
Thread poster: Niels Barfoed
Niels Barfoed
Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:15
English to Danish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2005

I run Win XP, Word 2003 and WF 5.01

The problem is that when I click the cross (upper right hand corner) in Word to close a document that I have translated with WF, the program crashes and throws the error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
abnormal program termination

This does NOT happen if I open and then close the same document without activating W
... See more
I run Win XP, Word 2003 and WF 5.01

The problem is that when I click the cross (upper right hand corner) in Word to close a document that I have translated with WF, the program crashes and throws the error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
abnormal program termination

This does NOT happen if I open and then close the same document without activating WF. The second part of the problem is, that the same error occurs and the program crashes when I mark a term in the source segment and click the 'Concordance search' botton. Although sometimes the error message is slightly different (reading somthing like: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way).

I have tried to delete the normal.dot without any effect, and also ensured that macro security is set to low and marked the 'Trust access to Visual basic....' box in Word. I have seen that there are posts re this problem in Trados support, but the directions given there doesn't seem to help. I have also searched the Wordfast group (Yahoo) but only found one similar case - without any answers, so I hope that among my fellow prozians someone is able to help....
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Solution? Nov 7, 2005

I don' know what's going on, but you could try to re-install Word with the default settings.

HTH,
Dan

Niels Barfoed
Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could it be trados? Nov 8, 2005

Thanks Dan for your input!

Meanwhile I tried to uninstall Trados 6.5.5 and having done that, Word/Wordfast functions perfectly without any problems whatsoever, BUT reinstalling Trados 6.5.5 makes the problem reappear.

It seems to be a problem with the most recent version of Wordfast since with previous versions I have never had this problem. I wonder if it could be a bug in Wordfast or Trados that gets so integrated in Word that it doesn't allow other tools access? I th
... See more
Thanks Dan for your input!

Meanwhile I tried to uninstall Trados 6.5.5 and having done that, Word/Wordfast functions perfectly without any problems whatsoever, BUT reinstalling Trados 6.5.5 makes the problem reappear.

It seems to be a problem with the most recent version of Wordfast since with previous versions I have never had this problem. I wonder if it could be a bug in Wordfast or Trados that gets so integrated in Word that it doesn't allow other tools access? I think I'll post these findings to the Wordfast group on Yahoo and see if someone has a clue as to what can be done....

I should add, that the WF version I use is 1.15...

And the solution to the problem (at least for me) seems to be to do a manual install of WF 5.15/1 - first deleting ALL existing Wordfast files in the Word Startup folder and then copying the Wordfast.dot file to this folder (after manual install, however, it is necessary to re-enter the license number). Now everything works. Hope this may be helpful for others...

[Edited at 2005-11-08 14:21]
Collapse

nic456
nic456
Local time: 07:15
English to German
+ ...
wordfast and trados Mar 12, 2007

Hello,

I am using Trados 7.5 and have just installed Wordfast 5.51 out of curiosity.

Result: the Trados toolbar is no longer available in Word.

I can confirm Niel's suggestion works:

In XP, the Word Start up folder location is

"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP"

In this folder there are two templates, Trados.dot and Wordfast.dot.

I moved Wordfast.dot out of the f
... See more
Hello,

I am using Trados 7.5 and have just installed Wordfast 5.51 out of curiosity.

Result: the Trados toolbar is no longer available in Word.

I can confirm Niel's suggestion works:

In XP, the Word Start up folder location is

"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP"

In this folder there are two templates, Trados.dot and Wordfast.dot.

I moved Wordfast.dot out of the folder, and Trados is available again as a toolbar in Word.

Please note that the location of Word templates is
"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates"
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Runtime error when closing Word & searching TM

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »