Mobile menu

Glossaries won't reorganize
Thread poster: Anna Fitzgerald

Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
French to English
Nov 18, 2005

I am using Wordfast 5 with Word 2003 on XP. I recently created two txt glossaries and set them as the active glossaries under the 'Terminology' tab. Initially unable to obtain term recognition, I was told to turn on the 'Propagatel' command in PB, which I did. This allowed for one successful translating session, but after having added terms to the glossaries, they will not reorganize and there is once again no term recognition.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Some things to check Nov 18, 2005

Hi Anna,

Propagation and recognition are two seperate things.

Recognition means the found source terms will be highlighted in blue in the source segment. This makes them available to use as placeables. If you bring down a higlighted placeable to the target segment the translation will be inserted.

Propagation means that the glossary translations of the terms that are highighted in bleu will be automatically inserted in the target segments. But there are many other options.

If your problem is that you see no blue highlighting for terms that are in your glossaries, you should check the following:

Is the glossary format right?
Open your glossaries in Word. Do all entries have the format:
vache{tab}cow{paragraph mark}
chat{tab}cat{tab}comment{paragraph mark}
homme d'affaires{tab}businessman{tab}comment{tab}attibute1{paragraph mark} etc.

Is the glossary selected?
If necessary, use the Select button on the Terminology/Glossary tabs.

Is the glossary active?
Enable This glossary is active on the Terminology/Glossary tabs.

Is the glossary indexed?
Click on Reorganise on the Terminology/Glossary tabs.

That's all. Recognition should work now. To propagate the translation of the terms check the Enable PB option on the Setup/TB tab and enter Propagate1, Propagate2 and/or Propagate3 as PB commands. You might also like to use the PB command CopySourceWhenNoMatch.

Good luck,

[Edited at 2005-11-18 20:53]

Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
French to English
Problem fixed... for now Nov 19, 2005

Thanks, Gerard, for all your input. I'll know where to look if the problem starts happening again. For now, I have been able to reorganize simply by closing the glossary file beforehand.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries won't reorganize

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs