Mobile menu

First letter of new segment not coming up
Thread poster: Sarah Brenchley

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone had the same problem and what's the solution? When I move down the document and open a new segment, I have to type the first letter twice for it to appear once.
It's getting annoying as I keep having to go back and correct the first letter which doesn't appear.
Would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Sarah.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which keyboard / keyboard driver are you using? Nov 20, 2005

It´s astonishing, as I have a very similar behaviour with Trados TAG Editor. As Wordfast and TAG editor seem to have nothing in common, the reason might be the keyboard driver.
If we both would happen to have the same, the possibility will get even greater. So if you could, please specifiy the keyboard / keyboard driver you are using.

Thank you
Jerzy

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keyboard driver Nov 20, 2005

I've copied this down directly from the CONTROL PANEL:
Cherry PS/2 Keyboard Driver for CDI
Is that of any help?

The thing about the wordfast is that it doesn't always do it.

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TOSHIBA LAPTOP Nov 20, 2005

Forgot to say, that I use a TOSHIBA if that helps.
Sarah.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, it is a different keyboard Nov 20, 2005

I use a desktop and the keyboard driver is for the M$ Wireless Keyboard Elite.

So this was the wrong trip.
Sorry for not beeing able to help you further.

Good luck
Jerzy

Rossella Cascone
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I know the problem Nov 20, 2005

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

Has anyone had the same problem and what's the solution? When I move down the document and open a new segment, I have to type the first letter twice for it to appear once.
It's getting annoying as I keep having to go back and correct the first letter which doesn't appear.
Would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Sarah.

Hi Sarah,
I noted that I've exactly the same problem.
I thought it was a problem of my laptop but reading wath you wrote I believe it is ageneral problem.
Unfortunately, I have no idea about the solution...
Rossella

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I have also encountered this problem Nov 20, 2005

But not in Wordfast - in Metatexis. And, unfortunately, I also don't have any idea neither about the origin of the problem, not on its solution.

Natalia

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
To complete the line - same here Nov 21, 2005

Dear all,

...not in Wordfast - in Metatexis.

I have to add up to the line and report the same behaviour in Metatexis.

I will report this issue to Hermann Bruns and give you any feedback from him.

Carsten

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Problem does not seem to be related to application, but to system Nov 21, 2005

Hello everybody,

during the last two years I got reports about that strange first-letter problem from a few users - but only from a few. I have never seen this strange behavior myself, and, obviously, many others users have not seen it either - otherwise I would have got more error reports.
The other point is that not only MetaTexis, but also other applications seem to be affected by the first-letter problem.

Therefore, I agree with Jerzy that the problem is not caused by the application (be it MetaTexis, or Wordfast, or the TagEditor), but by the system, perhaps by the keyboard driver.

However, this is only a guess. What exactly causes the problem I just do not know, simply because I have never seen this error myself, and because the error reports by the MetaTexis users did not allow to draw any conclusion.

Hopefully, this forum discussion will help us solving the problem. I would like to ask all people affected by this error to let us know which Windows version, which keyboard and which keyboard driver they are using.

Kind regards
Hermann

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
I had it too Nov 21, 2005

with Wordfast, until about a year ago, on one PC (a Windows 98 laptop). I draw the conclusion that the Wordfast macro was quicker than the keyboard driver or the keyboard. In the meanwhile I changed the Wordfast version and the keyboard (it was an old Cherry), but I didn't change the PC nor installed other patches (never touch a system that is working fine!). I really don't know what was solving the problem, but maybe it happens if the keyboard and the keyboard driver don't match completely, or if there is a port problem (driver for PS/2, keyboard connected to another port).
On the other PC (Windows XP and a keyboard which was sold with the computer) there was no problem.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 10:19]

Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
the answer, IMO Nov 21, 2005

Hi Hermann,

this is Yves (author, Wordfast). The problem is specific to a few versions of Word: 2002 and 2003, PC only. It does not appear on Word 97, for example. It's a Microsoft flaw in the Word - VBA integration.

I found after a lot of trial-and-error (with the help of a huge, supportive users' group) that it can be solved. Simulate the press of a "deaf" key right before your VBA process ends and the user starts doing his thing (typing). A SendKeys for a Control (or Escape of Shift) key will simulate the press of a key with no effect, and the problem is gone.

Cheers,
Yves Champollion

Hermann Bruns wrote:

Hello everybody,

during the last two years I got reports about that strange first-letter problem from a few users - but only from a few. I have never seen this strange behavior myself, and, obviously, many others users have not seen it either - otherwise I would have got more error reports.
The other point is that not only MetaTexis, but also other applications seem to be affected by the first-letter problem.

Therefore, I agree with Jerzy that the problem is not caused by the application (be it MetaTexis, or Wordfast, or the TagEditor), but by the system, perhaps by the keyboard driver.

However, this is only a guess. What exactly causes the problem I just do not know, simply because I have never seen this error myself, and because the error reports by the MetaTexis users did not allow to draw any conclusion.

Hopefully, this forum discussion will help us solving the problem. I would like to ask all people affected by this error to let us know which Windows version, which keyboard and which keyboard driver they are using.

Kind regards
Hermann

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Solution for Wordfast users Nov 21, 2005

To pass on how to solve the issue if you're using Wordfast: add FirstKeyShift in Pandora's Box (PB) and make sure PB is activated. Alternatively, try using FirstKeyEscape.

I think these commands are still missing in the Wordfast manual but I hope they'll be added soon.

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and that seems to have worked Nov 21, 2005

Thanks to everyone who has written in and to Yves for throwing more light on the problem. I have now activated Pandora's Box and that seems to have done the trick.

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Thanks! Nov 21, 2005

Hi Yves,

that's a simple solution, indeed! Many thanks for letting me know!

I agree with you that there must be an error in Word/VBA.

Still, this question remains unsolved: Why are some users affected by the first-letter problem while many others with very similar system configurations are not?

Well, just another Microsoft riddle...

Cheers
Hermann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First letter of new segment not coming up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs