Mobile menu

Segmenting numbered lists correctly from a word document
Thread poster: Michael Engley

Michael Engley
United States
Local time: 18:17
German to English
Nov 24, 2005

While recently translating a questionnaire in which the questions were presented as an automatically numbered list in Word format, I couldn't force wordfast (version 5.15) to correctly segment the list. Instead of adopting the source number into the target segment, it continued the list in the purple segment delimiters and the target segment, so that "1. " in the source segment appeared as a purple "2. " in the delimiting text, then as "3. " in the source segment. And so on. Disabling the auto formatting feature in word didn't help. Is there a way around this problem without having to manually reformat every automatically listed entry before wordfast segments it?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxNicolette Ri
Local time: 00:17
French to Dutch
+ ...
Continue to translate Nov 24, 2005

After cleaning up, everything will be normal.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 00:17
German
+ ...
It's not a bug, it's a feature Nov 24, 2005

This is by design: The numbers don't have to be translated and are thus excluded from the segments. Also, this feature prevents accidental overwriting of automatic numbers.

The problem of wrong numbers (i.e. "2." in the translation of "1.") is temporary and will go away with the final clean-up of the document.

HTH,
Benjamin

(Wait a second, I kind of contradicted myself there: I use Trados, which doesn't include preceding paragraph numbers at all. Wordfast obviously does. Still, the problem will go away with cleaning as Word does not retain the numbers displayed in the bilingual file - they can be automatically recalculated once the document is cleaned.)

[Edited at 2005-11-24 14:05]

Michael Engley
United States
Local time: 18:17
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip! A bit confusing to look at until cleaned, but it does work! Nov 24, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

This is by design: The numbers don't have to be translated and are thus excluded from the segments. Also, this feature prevents accidental overwriting of automatic numbers.

The problem of wrong numbers (i.e. "2." in the translation of "1.") is temporary and will go away with the final clean-up of the document.

HTH,
Benjamin

(Wait a second, I kind of contradicted myself there: I use Trados, which doesn't include preceding paragraph numbers at all. Wordfast obviously does. Still, the problem will go away with cleaning as Word does not retain the numbers displayed in the bilingual file - they can be automatically recalculated once the document is cleaned.)

[Edited at 2005-11-24 14:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmenting numbered lists correctly from a word document

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs