Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 24, 2005

I promised my client to reduce the repetitions in his file. Wordfast analyses (slowly, because the text is in tables) and shows 23 % repetitions.
With Trados 7.0 the same file has 0 % repetitions. Reason: same text, but different formatting (big/small letters). So because the customer believes in Trados he has to pay me the full amount without reductions.
In other projects Trados reports about half the amount of repetitions compared to Wordfast.
Keep this in mind when pricing!
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Penalties Nov 24, 2005

Hallo Heinrich,

das hängt allerdings ganz von den Einstellungen in Trados ab. Wenn die "Formatting difference penalty" in den TM-Einstellung auf 0 gesetzt ist, werden auch TUs, die sich nur in der Formatierung unterscheiden, als Wiederholung gesehen. Ich habe Wordfast nicht, aber ich könnte mir denken, dass es da ähnliche Optionen gibt. Vielleicht sind nur die jeweiligen Standardeinstellungen unterschiedlich. Es hängt also mehr davon ab, ob Du Dich dem Kunden gegenüber kulant zeigen willst... Meiner Erfahrung nach hat sich das auf lange Sicht immer bezahlt gemacht.

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:45
German to English
Trados 'wordcount' Nov 24, 2005

On the other hand, don't you find Trados comes up with lower wordcounts than Word in the first place? Your Trados analysis might show zero reps, but on a large text the underestimate of the wordcount could have a more significant effect on the overall budget.
Just another aspect to take account of.
DB

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 08:45
German
+ ...
Underestimate? Nov 25, 2005

Daniel Bird wrote:

(...)the underestimate of the wordcount(...)

Daniel, this topic has been discussed zillions of time, because this is a very common misconception:
There is no underestimate of the wordcount with Trados, only an "overestimate" on the part of MS Word, which includes every single page header and footer, every TOC entry, every numbers-only entry in a table etc. pp. as "words". The Word count is NOT a count of words to translate.

Regards,
Benjamin

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Trados and Wordfast counts are known to be different Nov 25, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I promised my client to reduce the repetitions in his file.

What does that mean? How does one reduce repetitions... by rewriting the repetitions so that they are no longer repetitions?

Wordfast analyses (slowly, because the text is in tables) and shows 23 % repetitions. With Trados 7.0 the same file has 0 % repetitions. Reason: same text, but different formatting (big/small letters).

Interesting. What happens if you activate the following four commands in the Pandora's Box?

DifferentCase=99
DifferentFormat=99
DifferentNumbers=99
DifferentTags=99

This forces Wordfast to regard SOMEWORD to be a 99% match for SoMeWoRd instead of a 100% match.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You misunderstood me Nov 25, 2005

In my case direct clients have up to now paid for every character I write. Now they have heard about translation environments and most likely Traods and want to pay less for repetitions. If I believe the Wordfast count, I lose lots of money. Customers have not even heard of Wordfast, and I would be stupid to charge according to Wordfast counts, if the customer expects me to use Trados anyway.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: better use Trados for analysing and pricing

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs