https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/40269-new_user%3B_how_to_open_bak_file.html

New user; how to open .bak file
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
Italian to English
Dec 14, 2005

I'm sure this is a very silly question but it has me stumped. I am using Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium.
I understand what the .bak file is and what it's used for but when I try to open it I get a dialogue box saying it doesn't recognise the extension and what programme would I like to open it in. None of those on the list looks relevant.
Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Usually Word backups have the extension *.wbk Dec 14, 2005

and not *.bak
However, you could simply use the "open" command from Word, allow Word to open any files (*.*), navigate to the folder the *.bak file is saved and open it in this way.

If you wish to open the *.bak with double click:
Either define a file type via Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - File types, where you press New (or Add - I don't know the English Windows). Then press "Advanced" and define the bak extension to be opened with Winword.
Or after dou
... See more
and not *.bak
However, you could simply use the "open" command from Word, allow Word to open any files (*.*), navigate to the folder the *.bak file is saved and open it in this way.

If you wish to open the *.bak with double click:
Either define a file type via Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - File types, where you press New (or Add - I don't know the English Windows). Then press "Advanced" and define the bak extension to be opened with Winword.
Or after double clicking, when the window says, there is no program specified, click "Chose a program from the list", and select Word. If Word should not be listed, take "Search" and navigate to the Word executable.

This procedure will work for any other program, for example Corel Draw and so on.

Best
Jerzy

PS
I've moved the topic to Office Applications.

[Edited at 2005-12-14 19:29]
Collapse

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very puzzled Dec 14, 2005

Hi Jerzy

Thank you for your response. However, I don’t really understand why you have moved this from the Wordfast Cat Tool section, since it is clear from the Instruction Manual that the .bak extension is a fundamental part of this package.

Following your first suggestion, “use the open command from Word, allow Word to open any files (*.*), navigate to the folder the *.bak file is saved and open it in this way”, the file is not listed whatever “Files of type:
... See more
Hi Jerzy

Thank you for your response. However, I don’t really understand why you have moved this from the Wordfast Cat Tool section, since it is clear from the Instruction Manual that the .bak extension is a fundamental part of this package.

Following your first suggestion, “use the open command from Word, allow Word to open any files (*.*), navigate to the folder the *.bak file is saved and open it in this way”, the file is not listed whatever “Files of type:” I select.

With your second option, “open the *.bak with double click: Either define a file type via Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - File types etc., I have no “Folder Options” on my Control Panel.

Following your third suggestion, “when the window says, there is no program specified, click "Choose a program from the list", and select Word” I tried this and now have a Word doc. containing only the parameter settings and none of the source or target text (it doesn’t really matter if I’ve lost the contents – I have them saved elsewhere).

I’m very puzzled.

Russell
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OK, I'm moving it back Dec 14, 2005

I must have misunderstood the purpose of the bak files there.
Usually, these are backup copies of files.
I've searched the Wordfast manual and found only a confirmation for that. The *.bak extension would then belond to a backup of a translation memory. If, for any reason, you need to use this *.bak file, maybe the only thing you need is to rename it to *.txt.

Sorry for making this confusion.

Regards
Jerzy

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Might be wrong... Dec 14, 2005

But I think Russell is clearing referring to the .bak files created after cleaning a file translated with Trados.

Is that so, Russell?

Zyntia.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No, it's Wordfast Dec 14, 2005

Thanks Zyntia but it is Wordfast; I don't have Trados.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OK, but are you referring to cleaned files? Dec 14, 2005

Or do you refer to the backup of the TM?
For now I'm tapping in full darkness.

Cheers
Jerzy

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Word Dec 14, 2005

Hello Russel,

Normally, it should open in Word when you double click on it. If the format is not recognised, try to use the "Open" command in Word.

Let me know if it works.

Cheers,
Dan

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Backup of bilingual text Dec 14, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Or do you refer to the backup of the TM?
For now I'm tapping in full darkness.

Cheers
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

The .bak file is actually a backup of the uncleaned file. You know, in case you clean the original and not a copy.

Dan

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Confusion perfect Dec 14, 2005

Hi Dan

This is actually the same case, as with Trados.
The bak file contains the billingual text after the cleanup process. The doc file has the target text, and bak is the backup of that.

So if double clicked it SHOULD open in Word. If it doesn't, so the setup of Windows should be slightly modified.
If Russel does not have the "Folder options" in his Control Panel, he will have this option for sure in Windows Explorer. There it is under "Tools - Folder Opti
... See more
Hi Dan

This is actually the same case, as with Trados.
The bak file contains the billingual text after the cleanup process. The doc file has the target text, and bak is the backup of that.

So if double clicked it SHOULD open in Word. If it doesn't, so the setup of Windows should be slightly modified.
If Russel does not have the "Folder options" in his Control Panel, he will have this option for sure in Windows Explorer. There it is under "Tools - Folder Options".

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 14, 2005

I knew it was something obvious. Double clicking works. The contents are not what I was expecting but that's me not following the cleaning instructions properly, I expect.
Thanks for your patience.
Russell

Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Right Click works better Apr 21, 2008

Hi Russel,

I too faced the same problem.

I tried to open the backup file after cleaning by double-clicking the BAK file, I got another cleaned file.

But right clicking worked perfectly. It opened the bi-lingual file.

Kind regards,

Sami

[Edited at 2008-04-21 20:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New user; how to open .bak file

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »