Mobile menu

Including brackets round placeables
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
Member (2004)
German to English
Feb 5, 2006

I'm sure there's an easy answer to this somewhere, but I haven't found it. My source text includes lots of academic references of the type Smith (1979) which need to be transferred unaltered into the translation. But if I treat that date as a placeable I end up with just the date but not the brackets, and it's really tedious to put the brackets in so many references manually. I thought the SmartPlaceableCopy command in Pandora's Box might do it, but it has failed to. Any more ideas?

Im using XP and Office 97.

Direct link Reply with quote

David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:40
English to Czech
SmartPlaceableCopy working overhere Feb 5, 2006

I just tried activating these two PB commands on my system (WinXP, Word 2000):

and Wordfast 5.17w3 will treat "Smith" as one placeable and "(2000)" as another. This seems the best combination for you.

To make it work, make sure the "Enable PB" box is checked in Wordfast and the underscore is deleted in the command(s) you activate. Also, check the spelling of commands - they're case sensitive I think. If this does not help, updating Wordfast might be the solution.

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
Member (2004)
German to English
Doesn't seem to work Feb 5, 2006

Yes I thought that what David suggests was the right approach - Pandora's Box is enabled, as are the Placeable=FirstCap and SmartPlaceableCopy commands, but I consistently get only the date without any brackets.

This copy of WordFast was only downloaded a fortnight ago, so should be up to date.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Including brackets round placeables

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs