Changing cap of personal Excel gloss for Wordfast
Thread poster: dholmes (X)
dholmes (X)
dholmes (X)
France
Local time: 17:35
French to English
Feb 9, 2006

Hello, I've recently started learning Wordfast and have imported my personal glossary - but... it's in capitals which means changing cap every time I use it. I've heard that there's away of changing cap for the whole Excel file at once, I've about 1500 entries and don't fancy going through line by line.
Also, can I do the change directly in the xt Wordfast gloss or do I do have to change the original one first then reimport ?
Thanks for any help,
Dianne

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use Pandora's Box Feb 9, 2006

Dianne Holmes Brown wrote:

Hello, I've recently started learning Wordfast and have imported my personal glossary - but... it's in capitals which means changing cap every time I use it. I've heard that there's away of changing cap for the whole Excel file at once, I've about 1500 entries and don't fancy going through line by line.
Also, can I do the change directly in the xt Wordfast gloss or do I do have to change the original one first then reimport ?
Thanks for any help,
Dianne

You can try the PB command CopyTermsWithCase
(quoting from WF manual): When the Ctrl+Alt+down shortcut is used to paste a glossary term's translation into the target segment, this command instructs Wordfast to apply the source segment's term's case to the pasted term.

This should solve the problem.

You can find Pandora's Box in the Setup Tab

Good luck

Marek

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
Shift/F3 Feb 9, 2006

.. but try first with the copy of another file

HTH

didi

www.kaerntenservice.at

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
You can do it using Excel formulas Feb 9, 2006

Dianne Holmes Brown wrote:

I've about 1500 entries and don't fancy going through line by line.

Dianne

One way you can do it is using Excel formulas.

Say that in Columns A and B you have you capitalized entries (SL and TL), which you would like to have in all lower case:

A B C D
1 HAT CAPPELLO
2 CAT GATTO

1) in cell C1 (or the first free cell) enter the formula =LOWER(A1)
2) in cell C1 you will now see "hat"
3) copy the formula to cell D1 (where you will now see "cappello")
4) select cells from C1 to D1500, and hit CTRL+D, to copy the formulas to all the lines of your glossaries
5) select columns C and D together
6) copy columns C and D
7) paste special (in another spreadsheet, or in a different location of your spreadsheet) using the paste "values" option (this will past the result of the formulas, and not the formulas themselves)
8) save

Done

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
In Word Feb 10, 2006

Another way is to copy the table into Word. Now you have Word's Change Case and Search&Replace functions available. When the task is completed, copy the table back into Excel.

[Edited at 2006-02-10 01:14]

dholmes (X)
dholmes (X)
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou all Feb 10, 2006

Many thanks to all, I'll try the various ways when I get time. Why is it that when you want to spend time improving technique a load of work suddenly appears!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing cap of personal Excel gloss for Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »