Can I make Wf replace the target segment with one in the TM?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

I have a Word-file, which I pretranslated with Trados. Trados has put into each target segment the text of the source segment. Now when I want Wordfast to search the TM for a match I first have to empty the target and then press arrow left. After that Wf jumps to the prior segment, and after that it finds displays the segment found in the TM. Is there any switch to force Wf to search the TM when getting a new segment?

Regards
Heinrich

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:29
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Shift+Alt+Insert Mar 1, 2006

Dear Heinrich,

This is the shortcut for copying from TM. As far as I know, it overwrites what you already have in the target field if you have a 100% match in the TM.

I hope this helps,
Dan

[Edited at 2006-03-01 08:50]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:29
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use a PB command Mar 1, 2006

Enable ShowBetterMatch, WriteBetterMatch or DiscreteBetterMatch in Pandora's box.

From the manual:

When revising a segmented, bilingual document (translated with TM1), using another TM (such as TM2), this can be useful to receive propositions from TM2, if they are rated higher than the ones originally proposed by TM1. If a better match exists, it will be displayed above the segment (Shift+Alt+Insert will copy TM2's proposition to the target segment).

WriteB
... See more
Enable ShowBetterMatch, WriteBetterMatch or DiscreteBetterMatch in Pandora's box.

From the manual:

When revising a segmented, bilingual document (translated with TM1), using another TM (such as TM2), this can be useful to receive propositions from TM2, if they are rated higher than the ones originally proposed by TM1. If a better match exists, it will be displayed above the segment (Shift+Alt+Insert will copy TM2's proposition to the target segment).

WriteBetterMatch: same as ShowBetterMatch, but the better match will directly replace the existing target segment with the better proposition. The analogy rate is also replaced with the new analogy rate.

DiscreteBetterMatch: same as WriteBetterMatch, but the existing analogy rate will not be replaced with the new analogy rate.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I make Wf replace the target segment with one in the TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »