Thread poster: Cordula Abston
Cordula Abston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
English to German
+ ...
Mar 25, 2006

Hello,

I am using the WordFast 5.18 version and am facing a translation in Excel for the first time. Having managed to bring up the Excel text into Word, I still have no idea how to bring it back to the Excel sheet after I am finished translating. Could you please walk me through the steps? I have read through the handbook and the forum, but could not find this specific instant.

Thanks in advance!
Cordula

Direct link Reply with quote

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Translating an Excel file Mar 25, 2006

Hello Cordula,

Translating an Excel file with Wordfast is "usually" straightforward. I did so recently and didn't encounter any major problems. You might want to make a copy of the file to be translated for test purposes - that way, if anything goes wrong, you won't have lost the original file.

First of all, open the Excel file to be translated and click on the first cell in which the translation starts (make sure you don't actually click in the formula bar). When selected, the cell will appear with a bold border and a small black square in the bottom-right corner.

Now open a new (empty) document in Word. Start Wordfast and then simply press the Alt + Down arrow key to start the translation. Wordfast basically imports the contents of the cell from Excel. Translate as you would normally. There's no need to paste anything back into Excel when you've finished, as while you're translating, Wordfast automatically overwrites the text directly in the Excel file.

If you need to take a break or want to return to the file later, go to Excel and save the file. To resume the translation, open the file in Excel and simply click on the cell where the translation resumes. Open a new document in Word, start Wordfast and proceed as explained above. Note that you do not save the Word document, only the Excel file.

You'll find the procedure in the Wordfast manual on page 59.

Hope that helps!

Good luck,

Simon

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Short presentation of XLS Mar 25, 2006

See very short presentation

http://www.condak.net/lekce/xls/en/00.html

Milan

[Edited at 2006-03-25 09:07]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's not straight-forward, but it is easy nonetheless. Mar 25, 2006

Cordula Abston wrote:
I am using the WordFast 5.18 version and am facing a translation in Excel for the first time. Having managed to bring up the Excel text into Word, I still have no idea how to bring it back to the Excel sheet after I am finished translating.

You're not supposed to bring the text from Excel into Word before translating it. If you follow the other advice in this thread, you'll notice that Wordfast brings each segment one at a time into Word as you go along, and replaces the text in Excel with the translation in real time. You must save the Excel file after having translated some or all of it, but I advise you to also save the resultant MS Word file, because it "remembers" the prositions of the text in the Excel file. You can only do one worksheet at a time, though. I use Wordfast even if I have to simply edit text in an Excel file, if that Excel file contains lots of formatting, because of the ease of use.

Cordula Abston  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all so much! :-) Mar 25, 2006

Literally, the light bulb turned on over my head.

Cheers,
Cordula

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:00
German to English
Minor problem I find Mar 30, 2006

Translating within Excel is a first-class feature of Wordfast, and this is the first time I have used it, however I found that the "Translate until no match" (Ctrl+Shift+PageDown) does not work.
Anyone else have this problem?
Otherwise excellent
DB

Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast-Excel how to work with several worksheets ? Sep 27, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am translating several excel files, 10 to 30 worksheets each one. Every time I translate a worksheet, I get the message end of translation and have to open a new blank document in word. By this time I have opened 14 pages in word. Is there any other easiest way to translate an excel file using Wordfast?

Thank you very much for your inputs,

Tere

roak
United States
German to English
translating excel file in Wordfast Oct 10, 2007

Hello Samuel,

You said that it wasnt necessary to copy the excel file into WORD etc. Could you please elaborate on this a bit?? I am not able to get it stratight. I tried following the method described in this thread and it just doesnt seem to work. I have been given three ecxcel files to work on and the client has also provided a WF memory which is a text file. He has also provided a ITX file both of which are unusable for some reason. There is no TMX available.
To get around the problem if I try working with Trados (version 2006), the excel file is opened in tag editor but the memory cannot be imported. The file you want to import must either be a TXT or a TMX so I can use only the TXT that the client has sent but that does not work either. What could the hitch be? Was reading through the manual but somehow just dont get the solution for this.

Can you offer me some help??
Thanks
Rav Oak
Samuel Murray wrote:

Cordula Abston wrote:
I am using the WordFast 5.18 version and am facing a translation in Excel for the first time. Having managed to bring up the Excel text into Word, I still have no idea how to bring it back to the Excel sheet after I am finished translating.

You're not supposed to bring the text from Excel into Word before translating it. If you follow the other advice in this thread, you'll notice that Wordfast brings each segment one at a time into Word as you go along, and replaces the text in Excel with the translation in real time. You must save the Excel file after having translated some or all of it, but I advise you to also save the resultant MS Word file, because it "remembers" the prositions of the text in the Excel file. You can only do one worksheet at a time, though. I use Wordfast even if I have to simply edit text in an Excel file, if that Excel file contains lots of formatting, because of the ease of use.

Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Instructions Feb 26, 2009

roak wrote:
You said that it wasnt necessary to copy the excel file into WORD etc. Could you please elaborate on this a bit?? I am not able to get it stratight.

1. Close all windows (just so you have a fresh Desktop)
2. Open the Excel file to be translated
3. Click once on the 1st cell with text that closest to the top left corner of the worksheet
4. Open MS Word
5. Open a New Blank Word Document from the "File" menu
6. Activate the Wordfast Toolbar
7. Click anywhere in the Blank Word Doc
8. Now, Press Alt+DownArrow in the blank Word Document (wordfast will now do it's thing and pull the 1st cell into a Wordfast Unit).
9. Translate segment as normal
10. Press Alt+Down to store segment in TM and go to the next segment. The Excel worksheet will update automatically.

teHunter
Local time: 10:00
Problem with Excel 2007 Mar 13, 2009

I have just started using wordfast and am trying to translate a file in excel. I have followed the instructions that have been suggested here and in the manual. My problem, however, is that after translating the first line and trying to move on to the next segment (using ALT+downarrow) my system freezes up and it neither procedes to the next segment nor replaces the text in the original file.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Arthur Jacobson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Problem with Excel - Wordfast does not transfer translation Dec 3, 2009

Hello,

This is my first post at Proz. I hope you can help me. I am using Wordfast 5.61f and Office 2000 (ancient, I know).

I just followed the instructions given here on translating texts in Excel using Wordfast. Wordfast extracts the texts, which is great. But it does not transfer it back to Excel. Instead, I get "#VALUE" ("#WERT" in German) in the translated cells and no text.

Do any of you have an idea what the problem might be?

Further to my problems with Excel: I have a column of text to translate and the translation has to go into the column next to that (2 columns, 1 German, 1 English). In order to maintain the German text so that it is not overwritten, I copied the German text into the English column where it will be translated. However, Wordfast does not stay in the English column, but instead jumps between the German and English columns, doing (as an example) cell 1 of column A and then cell 1 of column B. This way I end up translating the same text twice.

Has anyone had this problem?

I would be greatful for any help given.

Kind regards,
Arthur

[Edited at 2009-12-03 16:59 GMT]

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
One problem solved... Dec 3, 2009

Arthur Jacobson wrote:

I have a column of text to translate and the translation has to go into the column next to that (2 columns, 1 German, 1 English). In order to maintain the German text so that it is not overwritten, I copied the German text into the English column where it will be translated. However, Wordfast does not stay in the English column, but instead jumps between the German and English columns, doing (as an example) cell 1 of column A and then cell 1 of column B. This way I end up translating the same text twice.

Yes, hide column 1 (the one that has to stay in German) in Excel. Right click on the column header and selet "Hide". Wordfast only picks up non-hidden cells which is perfect for this situation.

Terry.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:00
Member (2008)
French to English
ExcelByColumns command Dec 3, 2009

Arthur Jacobson wrote:

Further to my problems with Excel: I have a column of text to translate and the translation has to go into the column next to that (2 columns, 1 German, 1 English). In order to maintain the German text so that it is not overwritten, I copied the German text into the English column where it will be translated. However, Wordfast does not stay in the English column, but instead jumps between the German and English columns, doing (as an example) cell 1 of column A and then cell 1 of column B. This way I end up translating the same text twice.

If you want to translate down the column, instead of across rows, you need to set the ExcelByColumns command in Pandora's Box (Setup > PB).

Arthur Jacobson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Thank you! Dec 14, 2009

Dear John, dear Terry,

Thanks a lot for your helpful replies. Now I just need to find out why my Excel does not keep the translation in the cells. It seems to work for everyone else.

I have searched the Internet but not found a description of this phenomena.

Anyway, it was great that you provided help.

Kind regards,
Arthur

Katarzyna Munnich
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
yes, it does work! thanks Feb 5, 2010

if you unlock the cells (not the whole spreadsheet) it dowes work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and Excel

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs