what is the difference in license bought at Wordfast VS the 3 year license bought through Proz.com?
Thread poster: PaulinaRich
PaulinaRich
PaulinaRich  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
Mar 29, 2006

I am reading about the license from the WordFast home page and I don't understand why would I want to buy a license for 3 years through Proz.com, if I buy a regular license directly through WordFast I can use it as long as I don't change hardware or computers? What am I missing?

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:05
Swedish to German
+ ...
three year license Mar 29, 2006

Hi Paulina,

I am reading about the license from the WordFast home page and I don't understand why would I want to buy a license for 3 years through Proz.com, if I buy a regular license directly through WordFast I can use it as long as I don't change hardware or computers? What am I missing?

The "3 yr"-license surely is identical with the "regular license" for purchases at wordfast.net. Even there you find these conditions in the license agreement:

------------------------------------------------------------
All licenses include, from date of purchase:

1. email support (e-hotline) for one year;

2. free upgrades to newer versions of Wordfast for three years;

3. a right to re-license Wordfast for three years.

I.e. you can keep on working with your Wordfast-version as long as you want, even longer than three years, provided you don't have to install it from scratch or change computers.

As a matter of fact my license will be three years old in several months... hopefully I won't have to replace my computer any time soon.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Renewal at half price Mar 29, 2006

Antje Harder wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------
All licenses include, from date of purchase:

1. email support (e-hotline) for one year;

2. free upgrades to newer versions of Wordfast for three years;

3. a right to re-license Wordfast for three years.

I.e. you can keep on working with your Wordfast-version as long as you want, even longer than three years, provided you don't have to install it from scratch or change computers.

Well, in fact, it's even better:

1. If you join the Yahoo group : [email protected], you get INSTANT e-mail support all the time. Sometime even faster than the one from Wordfast staff. In fact, the same people contribute to the yahoo group...

2. You can always upgrade, beacuse the download of new versions is available to everyone, and the licence number you have (the old one) works in all new versions (or has worked so far....)

Antje Harder wrote:
As a matter of fact my license will be three years old in several months... hopefully I won't have to replace my computer any time soon.

3. Yep, you cannot relicense.... However, if you purchased a licence before, you can buy a "renewal" for three more years at 50% of the "new licence" price (i.e. 45 - 90 EUR, depending on where you live)

So, it's not that bad...

Regards

Marek

[Edited at 2006-03-29 20:48]

PaulinaRich
PaulinaRich  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
TOPIC STARTER
so do I buy it from wordfast at a cheaper price? Apr 1, 2006

If I can get all of those benefits from buying it directly from wordfast, what is the deal then that Proz is getting? It is a more expensive license for "three years" (from Proz) as opposed of buying it from wordfast. SOrry but I don't see why I would want to get it from Proz then.

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Choose from two benefits Apr 6, 2006

PaulinaRich wrote:

If I can get all of those benefits from buying it directly from wordfast, what is the deal then that Proz is getting? It is a more expensive license for "three years" (from Proz) as opposed of buying it from wordfast. SOrry but I don't see why I would want to get it from Proz then.

As far as I understand, you can choose one of the two benefits:

a) you pay 180 EUR and get 3 months plastinum membership for free

b) you are already a platinum meber and you pay only 159 EUR

see http://www.proz.com/wordfast?sp=wordfast/index&wordfast_show_mode=purchase

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what is the difference in license bought at Wordfast VS the 3 year license bought through Proz.com?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »