Use of Alt+up arrow to go back in Wordfast
Thread poster: Karine Pellaumail
Karine Pellaumail
Karine Pellaumail  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:25
English to French
Apr 13, 2006

Hello

I am new to Wordfast. I have looked around the forum on Wordfast and I didn't seem to find an answer for this.

When I use Alt+up, nothing seems to happen, i.e. it does not go back to the previous segment.

I have found that it works if I go to Wordfast/More/Previous Segment but it is more cumbersome to do so.

I know that I can also alter a previous segment anyway by clicking into it but it is obviously easier if it is nicely highlighted.... See more
Hello

I am new to Wordfast. I have looked around the forum on Wordfast and I didn't seem to find an answer for this.

When I use Alt+up, nothing seems to happen, i.e. it does not go back to the previous segment.

I have found that it works if I go to Wordfast/More/Previous Segment but it is more cumbersome to do so.

I know that I can also alter a previous segment anyway by clicking into it but it is obviously easier if it is nicely highlighted.

Any idea why Alt+up does not seem to work?

Cheers, Karine

PS: I have used another translation tool called CBG trans tool where it was easy to do.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
WfPreviousSegment Apr 13, 2006

Go to Tools, Macros and look, if WfPreviousSegment is there. You could try to deinstall and reinstall Wordfast.
Regards
Heinrich

Karine Pellaumail
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Wfprevioussegment Apr 13, 2006

Thanks Heinrich

I have checked and it is under Tools/Macro... It's rather mysterious.

Karine

[Edited at 2006-04-13 15:50]

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:25
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What hardware/software do you use? Apr 13, 2006

Some software programs/drivers hijack the shortcuts used by WordFast.

It is also possible that the shortcut is assigned to another function/command in Word.

You can also try to re-assign this shortcut to the macro.

Or backup the file normal.dot, and then delete it (if you do not know, where to find it, ask here).
Then re-install wordfast.

And let us know what hardware/software you use...
See more
Some software programs/drivers hijack the shortcuts used by WordFast.

It is also possible that the shortcut is assigned to another function/command in Word.

You can also try to re-assign this shortcut to the macro.

Or backup the file normal.dot, and then delete it (if you do not know, where to find it, ask here).
Then re-install wordfast.

And let us know what hardware/software you use

Regards

Marek
Collapse

Karine Pellaumail
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Software/hardware Apr 13, 2006

Thanks Marek.

I use the usual software i.e. Office 2003, Internet Explorer and utilities, in Windows XP, and I have a Pentium M laptop.

I haven't tried to re-install Wordfast yet.

I'm away for a few days now so sorry if there is no reply for a while.

Cheers,

Karine

Ruslan Datkayev
Ruslan Datkayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 23:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast bugs Apr 14, 2006

Good day!

Actually situation you described is quite common. For being sure, Windows/Office must be checked Otherwise, installation of earlier versions of Wordfast may help.

With respect,

Ruslan Datkayev

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:25
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Common problem but not a bug Apr 14, 2006

rbd wrote:

Good day!

Actually situation you described is quite common. For being sure, Windows/Office must be checked Otherwise, installation of earlier versions of Wordfast may help.

With respect,

Ruslan Datkayev

Hi Ruslan,

I doubt this is a Wordfast bug. From the Wordfast Knowledge Base:

Users of Intel Extreme Graphics drivers (notably on Dell computers) may be puzzled when first using Wordfast to see that some of the shortcuts do not work. This can also happen when you update your Intel Graphics driver.

Old Intel Graphics drivers have been noted to hijack Ctrl+Alt+F12.

Newer versions hijack four critical Wordfast shortcuts: Ctrl+Alt+Up, Ctrl+Alt+Down, Ctrl+Alt+Left, Ctrl+Alt+Right.

Translators experiencing problems with these shortcuts in Wordfast can go to the Control Panel and click on Intel Extreme Graphics (monitor icon).

They should then click on Hotkeys and disable Enable Hot Keys. The problem should then be solved.

Regards,
Gerard

Ruslan Datkayev
Ruslan Datkayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 23:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Good advice Apr 14, 2006

Good day Mr.de Noord!

Thank you for advising, such problems definitely depend on hardware. As Intel Extreme chipset is popular in laptops, your information may help to solve Karine problem.

With respect,

Ruslan Datkayev

Karine Pellaumail
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - problem solved (at least for now) Apr 18, 2006

Hello all

Thank you all for your replies.

Going back to my computer today after a long weekend, I found that I had to re-install Wordfast as it wasn't there when I opened Word. (I have now added the wordfast.dot in the Word's Start up folder, as suggested by the manual in such case).

Anyway, this time "alt+up arrow" seems to be working fine (and hopefully will always work from now on).

So thank you all for now. No doubt I will come back with mo
... See more
Hello all

Thank you all for your replies.

Going back to my computer today after a long weekend, I found that I had to re-install Wordfast as it wasn't there when I opened Word. (I have now added the wordfast.dot in the Word's Start up folder, as suggested by the manual in such case).

Anyway, this time "alt+up arrow" seems to be working fine (and hopefully will always work from now on).

So thank you all for now. No doubt I will come back with more questions as I explore all the intricacies of the program.

Best wishes,

Karine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of Alt+up arrow to go back in Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »