Evgeny Terekhin
Evgeny Terekhin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2006

Hi, everyone. I just installed WF two days ago. Is it possible to add up to the existing TM my previously translated files?

I also have another question. My translations are mostly Bible commentaries. Very few repetitions. Do you think it makes any sense to use WF?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes and no Apr 22, 2006

You can put the old translations into your TM either manually or by an alignment tool. For Wf there is Plustools, from the same author as Wordfast.
But in your case it is of not much use, because there won't be any repetitions. The only advantage would be, that you could use the context search, if you want to look, how you have translated some phrase previously.
But Wordfast helps ergonomically, because you don't have to look anywhere else than the screen when translating, and will h
... See more
You can put the old translations into your TM either manually or by an alignment tool. For Wf there is Plustools, from the same author as Wordfast.
But in your case it is of not much use, because there won't be any repetitions. The only advantage would be, that you could use the context search, if you want to look, how you have translated some phrase previously.
But Wordfast helps ergonomically, because you don't have to look anywhere else than the screen when translating, and will help you not to skip any sentence.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two questions, two answers Apr 22, 2006

Evgueni Terekhin wrote:
Hi, everyone. I just installed WF two days ago. Is it possible to add up to the existing TM my previously translated files?

Yes, if you also have the original texts. Then you could use PlusTools to align the texts. Read all about it in the PlusTools manual (download from same site as Wordfast).

I also have another question. My translations are mostly Bible commentaries. Very few repetitions. Do you think it makes any sense to use WF?

Being able to use fuzzy matching for repetitive text is only one advantage of using translation memory. Another is the fact that you're creating a bilingual reference which can be useful later when you're searching for the translation of a term or a phrase. If you're concerned that using CAT might interfere with the literary nature of your translation, try segmenting by paragraph instead of by sentence.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Filling up TM with previously translated texts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »