Create a glossary with Plus Tools
Thread poster: adamadamiec
adamadamiec
Local time: 19:57
Polish to German
+ ...
Apr 22, 2006

Hi, dear colleagues,
i try to create a glossary from 2 files in different languages after translating.Is it possible to do it with +Extract Plus Tools? If yes, how does it work and what is the best method?(I mean the fastest one).

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Create a table with two columns in Word or Excel Apr 23, 2006

The first column should contain the source terms, the second column the target terms.

In Excel, save the file as a tab-delimited TXT file. Use a descriptive name like US-IT Automotive GLO.txt.

In Word, convert the table to text with Table/Convert/Table to Text (Seperate text with Tabs) and save the tab-delimeted terms as a TXT file.

In Wordfast, open the TXT file with the Select glossary button on the Terminology/Glossary 1 tab. Reorganise the glossary and it's ready for use.

Regards,
Gerard

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Extract is from source file only Apr 23, 2006

adamadamiec wrote:

Hi, dear colleagues,
i try to create a glossary from 2 files in different languages after translating.Is it possible to do it with +Extract Plus Tools? If yes, how does it work and what is the best method?(I mean the fastest one).

After alignment I have 4 files,
source, target, TAB and translation memory.

I set-up +Extract for extract all word with more than 2 letters, with freqvency 1x and more, only "one word expression".

Result of extraction is list of one column text file. I can create a table in Word, in Excel or any other tool. Text of first column I put into machine translator, result of machine translation into second and third column.

I open TAB file as second file and check visually precise translation and I am editing second column of Extracted 3 column file. Sometimes I put * for fuzzy recognition, if I want use second column for Quality Control (QC).

Conversion process was described by Gerard.

I never extract expression of 2-3-4 words.
Extracted 1 word "glossary" is GLO1, file specific.
From TAB or "on the fly" I create 2-3-4 words GLO2 for QC, field specific.

My GLO3 is updated big file with general topic from web, I am using result of activity of fans who add new terms all the time.

Milan

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 12:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Error while trying to extract terms in PlusTools Apr 23, 2006

Gerard de Noord wrote:

The first column should contain the source terms, the second column the target terms.

In Excel, save the file as a tab-delimited TXT file. Use a descriptive name like US-IT Automotive GLO.txt.

In Word, convert the table to text with Table/Convert/Table to Text (Seperate text with Tabs) and save the tab-delimeted terms as a TXT file.

In Wordfast, open the TXT file with the Select glossary button on the Terminology/Glossary 1 tab. Reorganise the glossary and it's ready for use.

Regards,
Gerard

Hello. I'm trying to extract a glossary from a translated bilingual (uncleaned) file.

I understand we have to use PlusTools and the Extract function for this. I did what Gerard recommends above - I suppose that would be the setup so that Extract in PlusTools saves the extracted terms in the blank glossary, right?

But when I click on "Start extraction" in PlusTools, I get a Microsoft Visual Basic run-time error

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any other way to create a glossary from a translated file?

Thanks!

adamadamiec
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Am I wrong?? Apr 23, 2006

I thought it is enought to choose a TM file and the application(Plus Tools) tries to combine words from source segment to target segment automatically.

Do I really have to combine terms manually, if I don't use translation machine?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PlusTools can't extract bilingual glossaries Apr 24, 2006

adamadamiec wrote:
i try to create a glossary from 2 files in different languages after translating. Is it possible to do it with +Extract Plus Tools?

If you mean, you want to feed +Extract a bilingual uncleaned file, and then +Extract will find word pairs for you based on that, well, no you can't do that. +Extract only extracts the most commonly occuring phrases and words from a monolingual document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a glossary with Plus Tools

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs