Thread poster: Lincoln Silveira

Lincoln Silveira
Brazil
Local time: 16:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 5, 2006

All,

I received a .xml.ttf file for translation with WF which had been tagged with TRADOS. My version of WF is 5b22.

When I hit alt+down WF issued the "file must be tagged" warning; when the process was over, the whole file came out as a bunch of of tags and WF would not give me any hits from a memory the cliend had sent to me beforehand.

I ended up having to decline the job as the client was in such a hurry that I thought it would be better not to remedy it and let him find another person to take on his document.

Well, I had a feeling that sooner or later I, as a WF user, would have to face a file from TRADOS, and the 1st encounter was not exactly a friendly one at all.

So, if any of you out there can lend a helping, clear and straightforward hand on what to expect and request from those sending TRADOS files to be translated with WF and what kind of files should one work on, and any other hints, I'd appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Lincoln

[Edited at 2006-05-05 01:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:55
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Was it ttx? May 5, 2006

Hello,

ttf is "true type font" - this is not a Trados file, as far as I know.

Do you mean ttx? If you, I think it's no use trying to translate this with WF. You could tag the file using PlusTools, but this would not help much.

The structure of TUsin the file (apart from tags) is like that:

Source text.
Target text

Before translation, the Target text segment is missing (or is empty), you you have to create it, or put the translation in this segment.
You would spend 5 times more time on the translation.

Solution: Ask the customer to provide the original XML file (then you can use PlusTools + WF).

.....OR, of course, buy Trados

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ask to get the file as rtf May 5, 2006

After all ttx are textfiles. Someone with TagEditor can export the file as rtf or pretranslate them with Workbench and export them to rtf. Then you can translate them in Word either with Trados or Wf. The uncleaned file must be cleaned in Trados.
Its no problem if the customer is willing to cooperate or if you find someone that does the conversion. The TM must be Wf-compatible.
There can be problems with special characters, as always, Trados or not Trados.

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-05 09:11]

Lincoln Silveira
Brazil
Local time: 16:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, mate! May 5, 2006

Marek Buchtel wrote:

Hello,

Do you mean ttx? If you, I think it's no use trying to translate this with WF. You could tag the file using PlusTools, but this would not help much.

Yeah, I guess I did... thanks for pointing that out.

Solution: Ask the customer to provide the original XML file (then you can use PlusTools + WF).

Thanks for the tip!

.....OR, of course, buy Trados

Not an option, I'm afraid. Their cost is way too prohibitive and for my translation needs WF has sufficed.

Thanks again, Marek!

[Edited at 2006-05-05 12:24]

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
MetaTexis supports Trados ttx files Dec 21, 2006

And you can use the demo version for 2 months

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to read .xml.ttf file for translation with WF

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs