revert to bilingual file
Thread poster: lizzy g

lizzy g  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:03
Italian to English
Jun 2, 2006

Hello,

As my previous post would suggest, I'm no Wordfast expert!

My problem is this: I have used Wordfast to translate a document which I then 'cleaned' and saved. The client now wants me to send the bilingual file but now I can't seem to get back to this file. I do have the back up file (BAK File) but I don't think this is what the client wants.

Has anyone got a solution?

Many thanks,
Lizzy

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:03
English to German
+ ...
BAK file Jun 2, 2006

The BAK file is what your clients wants. Open it in Word and save as doc.

Sonja

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
No, not necessarily Jun 2, 2006

Some clients want a real bilingual file - one sentence or paragraph in the original langage and the translation underneath, in another colour. I asked this question to M. Champollion some times ago, and he had no solution. The only thing is to take the original file and the translation, and to do some copying and pasting. Theoretically it is possible to treat the .bak file (change fonts, insert line breaks, make text not hidden, etc), but this is rather complicated. If the bilingual file has to be delivered in two colums, you can try to create an Excel file or a new Word file with two columns, and paste the text in it.
I know this answer doesn't help very much!
Good luck

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 2, 2006

Thanks for your advice, Sonja. I have done as you suggested!

Lizzy

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I always save different versions of my files Jun 2, 2006

lizzy g wrote:
My problem is this: I have used Wordfast to translate a document which I then 'cleaned' and saved. The client now wants me to send the bilingual file...

I always keep the following copies of my files:
1. The original file
2. The translation before cleanup
3. The translation after cleanup

Then I can easily revert to a previous version if I need to (or if the client asks for a previous version).

If the BAK file doesn't do it for you, then you'll have to retranslate the file using your created TM.

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Saving at every step Jun 2, 2006

Daving each different file as Samuel suggested is a good idea - I'll certainly do it next time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

revert to bilingual file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs