Wordfast language codes
Thread poster: Ara Mkrtchyan
Ara Mkrtchyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 10:36
English to Armenian
+ ...
Jun 6, 2006

Hi everyone! Can someone give me a hint on the language code for (eastern)Armenian? The manual isn't much of a help with the offered links, can't find Armenian anyway. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:36
English to Czech
HY-01 Jun 6, 2006

I have just followed the link provided in Wordfast's manual (http://www.wordfast.net/html/lang_frame.html) and found the following:
HY-01 Armenian

Armenia
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 6, 2006

David Daduc wrote:

I have just followed the link provided in Wordfast's manual (http://www.wordfast.net/html/lang_frame.html) and found the following:
HY-01 Armenian

I wasn't able to open it the last time, that's why I hadn't found it. Now it worked, thatx.
And what happens if you misrepresent a code, like XX-01 instead of HY-01? Wordfast seems to works alright.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The language code matters not Jun 6, 2006

Ara Mkrtchyan wrote:
And what happens if you misrepresent a code, like XX-01 instead of HY-01? Wordfast seems to works alright.

Nothing happens, except that (a) if you were to share your TM with people using a language code sensitive CAT tool, their CAT tool might choke on it, and (b) if your version of MS Word has a spelling checker installed which is activated by the language code, your document won't be spell-checked until you specifically request it using F7.

The correct Afrikaans code is AF-01, but I never use it. I use AF-ZA. The only time this is a problem, is when I share memories with Trados users (and a quick Find/Replace in the TM usually fixes it).

Armenia
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Target segment spellcheck Jun 6, 2006

Thanks. Another question please: the text in the target segment is not spellchecked (english). What could be the reason?

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
I use country code in all language codes Jun 8, 2006

Ara Mkrtchyan wrote:

David Daduc wrote:

HY-01 Armenian

Now it worked, thatx.
XX-01 instead of HY-01? Wordfast seems to works alright.

I made a short presentation:

http://www.condak.net/lekce/ms_glos/en/04.html,

language + country code = ISO 639 + ISO 3166.

There some info about Microsoft Glossaries, translation memory (VI-VN - EN-US) and using Wordfast and MetaTexis for converting Microsoft Glossaries.

/By languages AR, HE you write a line from right side to left. CJK languages are using other font coding./

Milan
www.condak.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast language codes

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs